DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

Mike's SLS System

First, hats off to headchange4u, BearChaser, and olddog for their single line suspension work. I expect to get a handful of 1/8" Amsteel some day, soft shackles, bury some whoopies, and then have a no-bling, quick and quiet way to hang. I really like what they have done and recommend it highly. But I already sunk $$$ in hardware! This is an overview shot:

Second, this system depends a lot on carabiners (6, 4 CAMP Nanos from whoopieslings.com at 23 grams each and 2 CAMP Ti at 29 each from REI) and cranking tension into the SLS with a straps and buckles (Warbonnet) used as a sort-of pulley. I took off the tarp to show how it's put together. I slept out there last night and had sufficient clearance with UQ, though barely by morning.

Carabiners A are Ti and clip the straps, which run to buckles with a continuous loop. These straps are at 5'-6" on the tree.

Carabiners B connect the continuous loop to the SLS, which is a self-made giant double-adjustable whoopie of 7/32" Amsteel from Redden Marine. Also clipped to carabiners B are 6' adjustable whoopie suspension from whoopieslings.com

The whoopie slings run to carabiners C, onto which are clipped all manner of things: the hammock, hammock's SRL, UQ, and weather sock. There's no telling what else might live there

The biggest advantage of this system is the versatility of being able to crank tension into the SLS with the straps, which lowers the elevation on the trees. One set of tree straps is eliminated. The 30* angle can be maintained over a greater range of distances, though I have done this only on my trees so far ... who may like me better than other trees would. ;-)

Mike
    Last edited by MDSH; 10-08-2012 at 17:22. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Discovered the limit of my system today: 6'-8" up the tree and 32' between. That was clipping the hammock directly to the SLS, using the whoopies to position it.

Mike
    Last edited by MDSH; 10-10-2012 at 16:08.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Looks good Mike. Those long spans will allow you to utilize trees that others can't touch.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Thanks, olddog, but part of the "limit" I found was psychological.

The angles that we utilize in a SLS put a lot of strain on the system, upwards of 1000 pounds, and that's a ? in my mind. I did not crank as much into the line as possible because, frankly, I was afraid of breaking something. In my back yard over fluffy pine bark mulch is one thing.

In a draught-stricken park with no one around is another ... which is how it might be on an outing.

I am glad for all I've learned but the truth is that I would recommend your system with 1/8 inch Amsteel over mine that gets too close to rated limits of the equipment. It's a big jump from 30* hangs to a SLS. It's a different animal that probably needs its own niche in the marketplace.

I like the Warbonnet straps and buckles very much but do not believe that this is the best application for them.

Theoretically, I'm very close. In practice, though, there are more factors to consider with personal safety and convenience of use looming larger than before.

Mike

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    Mikw,

thanks so much for the pics. I have a hard time understanding all these rigs just from the written descriptions of them. Just a couple questions. How do you attach your tarp over the SLS? Also how do you undo the tension on the buckles? It's hard enough to release the tension from my WBBB buckles when my hammock needs to be loosened, and it's not nearly as tight as you have them.

Hammock
    Skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    Undecided
    Insulation
    Gortex bivie cover
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    after seeing pics and height measurement for you hanging iam so confused...after seeing the app for apple users on length and wieght and desired 30 degree...when i put in distance between trees in the equation it says to hang it so high up the trees that you need a 12 foot ladder...but after seeing your distances it changed that perspective for me....and i thank you for pics and the new knowledge

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonepile View Post
    Mikw,

thanks so much for the pics. I have a hard time understanding all these rigs just from the written descriptions of them. Just a couple questions. How do you attach your tarp over the SLS? Also how do you undo the tension on the buckles? It's hard enough to release the tension from my WBBB buckles when my hammock needs to be loosened, and it's not nearly as tight as you have them.
    The beauty of carabiners is clipping stuff to them. I have guy lines on the tarp with self-made tensioners that run to carabiners B and stakes.

Yes, the Warbonnet flat buckles are not ideal to this system. But once you hang a while there is a natural stretch that occurs. It seems that the polyester webbing stretches more than Amsteel; so it's a balancing act. One can disconnect at carabiners A at the tree or at the giant whoopie. Also, leave plenty of the tail out of the whoopie buries.

Mike

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aschurr View Post
    after seeing pics and height measurement for you hanging iam so confused...after seeing the app for apple users on length and wieght and desired 30 degree...when i put in distance between trees in the equation it says to hang it so high up the trees that you need a 12 foot ladder...but after seeing your distances it changed that perspective for me....and i thank you for pics and the new knowledge
    That's because the 30* angle is in the hammock still, which is suspended from the line, not the trees.

As Mike said, this is a different beast, and needs to be researched before you go out and and do it: the line needs to be stronger.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    So true that the SLS is a 'different animal'. It's taken me over a year to get to the system I'm using now. Got some chores to do tomorrow but will try to get some pics of the ' final'.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Good to see a clear explanation and some pix of the SLS.
    Going to have to set one up for around here. The problem is not lack of trees, but too many that have the bigger branches down low. Available space between the trees is blocked for the use of straps with whoopies only. Need to get some distance out and away to hang.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast