Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernExposure View Post
    By my thinking, if you have a UQ with correctly designed differential cut inner and outer shells, you will remove or minimize the ability to pull it so tight that it will compress the insulation. It works on the same principle as a SRL on a hammock support. The limiting factor is the SRL (inner shell) with the sag being determined by the length of the hammock (outer shell).

SE
    I was thinking the same thing......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernExposure View Post
    By my thinking, if you have a UQ with correctly designed differential cut inner and outer shells, you will remove or minimize the ability to pull it so tight that it will compress the insulation. It works on the same principle as a SRL on a hammock support. The limiting factor is the SRL (inner shell) with the sag being determined by the length of the hammock (outer shell).

SE
    That's kinda what I thought as well but didn't want to make a fool of my self if I was wrong lol although if you pull it tight enough to stretch the inner layer material there might be some compression?!?!?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    straps
    This is a new Hammock Gear Burrow 20* with the latest double suspension. I thought it was made with the inner wall smaller but maybe not enough when it is pulled too tight? Do you know if anyone else has had this problem?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    straps
    Opps, my mistake. It is the Phoenix bottom quilt we are talking about. The Burrow is the Top Quilt.

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    That's kinda what I thought as well but didn't want to make a fool of my self if I was wrong lol although if you pull it tight enough to stretch the inner layer material there might be some compression?!?!?
    Fool-myself-making is my specialty! Feeling the freedom to voice carefully considered wild a$$ ideas on here is what makes this forum so potent and dynamic.

If the UQ is hung using any kind of shock cord, you would have to pull it a ridiculously long length to get it so tight as to stretch ripstop nylon.

SE

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Honestly, this is possible. While perhaps not super easy, you can overtighten and compress, even with differential cuts. 1.1 Silnylon will stretch a bit. It is especially true in areas like your rear end and head that may place a bit of a specific pressure point against the insulation.

They show some examples in the discussion by the folks that make LeighLo quilts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=l-GftNcCvrE

As a note, LeighLo has some other nice videos. They explain their suspension system very well - I recently added it to one of the UQ shell quilts I purchased from Lost_Biker.
    http://www.hammockquilts.com/apps/videos/
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Honestly, this is possible. While perhaps not super easy, you can overtighten and compress, even with differential cuts. 1.1 Silnylon will stretch a bit. It is especially true in areas like your rear end and head that may place a bit of a specific pressure point against the insulation.
    http://www.hammockquilts.com/apps/videos/
    Breyman, thanks for the video link. It shows very clearly what is happening to me. And how the Triangle Thingy pulls up on the cords to eliminate the gaps. I'm going to make some.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12