WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    Hey Old Boot. I've seen one other from up here so far. The MN group hangs an hour South of me on a regular basis, so I think I may end up hanging with them on a regular basis. The parks up here can be a bit oppressive at times. It's why we avoid them and stick to the backcountry.
    I've hung in Algonquin, Killarney, and Silent Lake parks in Ontario with no problems. NWO Hanger, I've never hung in a park in NWO but why would you, really? So much awesome Crown Land.

Next summer I plan to circumnavigate Loch Lomond in the Nor'westers or possibly hike/bushwack/walk atv trails from Mink Mountain/Sturgeon Bay down to the border. i live in Toronto now, but visit my folks in TBay (Mink mtn) several times a year. I'd be happy to have a hiking buddy. I'll PM you a few weeks before I get there.
    my other dream is to do the Casque Isles trail between Terrace Bay and Rossport.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    I haven't tried our hammocks in Provincial Parks yet, but if we do go to one this year, I'll be calling ahead to see if they're allowed. I'm kind of thinking they won't be. Park staff aren't too educated up here.
    I haven't had any issues. In Algonquin I've chatted about them with rangers and park naturalists.

If you have any issues let me know. I have a connection way up in the Ontario Parks bureaucracy we could use to get some action. If you have no issues, I'd rather not bring it up in case of policy being not as nice as the implementation I've seen.

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    We've had a few issues in South Carolina in the past. Rev had to explain what hammock camping is to a few state park rangers before they allowed him to put on the first fall sprawl. Then the following spring I had issue getting my local camp ground to allow my group hang. After some back and forth with the state park office ( PLUS a ton of help and work from Rev ). The park office made a rule change to allowed hammocks in the primitive section only (using LNT of course).
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    Next summer I plan to circumnavigate Loch Lomond in the Nor'westers or possibly hike/bushwack/walk atv trails from Mink Mountain/Sturgeon Bay down to the border. i live in Toronto now, but visit my folks in TBay (Mink mtn) several times a year. I'd be happy to have a hiking buddy. I'll PM you a few weeks before I get there.
    my other dream is to do the Casque Isles trail between Terrace Bay and Rossport.
    Definitely get in touch when you're on your way up. My regular camping buddy is planning to move out East this year. As long as I can get the time off work I'm up for it.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    If you have any issues let me know. I have a connection way up in the Ontario Parks bureaucracy we could use to get some action. If you have no issues, I'd rather not bring it up in case of policy being not as nice as the implementation I've seen.
    Thanks keg. My wife works for the MNR, so we have some connections to Parks as well, but it's only through passing. We used to have better connections, but people moved on to other jobs.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I've never had an issue in NC. Like Shug said, I try to get as far as possible away from authority anyhow.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Let's please keep this thread focused on interaction with Rangers and the like, not trip planning.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Have only talked to the "park people" twice at "MY" Ohio park; "I camp in a hammock" said I. "Cool" said them. Probably talked to a total of 5 park personnel.

Rest of the time I haven't met anyone, & NEVER have seen anyone official once I'm off pavement. But then I do NOT camp in car campgrounds if I can help it. My one time a year is in a few weeks.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    MARPAT Freebird/DB72
    Tarp
    UGQ MultiCam WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, whoopie
    Have hung in state parks and national parks in SC, NC and VIR. Have never had an issue with Rangers or other park workers. But I have had "issues" with a few camp hosts. They usually don't know the rules and figure anything other than a tent or camper is just "wrong". I usually just nod while they talk as I continue with whatever I'm doing. When they wind down I tell them to have the Ranger come talk to me. Never have I had the Ranger come by after that. Unless it was for coffee in the morning or a that's cool visit.
    Leave me alone, I'm only talking to my dog today.

I may be outnumbered, but never outmanned.

Palmetto State Hangers: We're not crazy, the Groundpounders are!!!!

Hammock
    BIAS WW w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    WS/TH
    No problems (yet) in the Keweenaw (UP of the UP of Michigan). Hammock camping is allowed here and the rangers were well informed. The only problem was that the sate park was supposed to have hammocks available (free for day usage) but didn't.

As we say at my favorite bar: Living in the UP, on purpose!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast