Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images

UnderQuilt Suspension

I received a WL 3/4 length under quilt last summer. The one issue that I have is that the suspension pulls the hammock up when un-occupied. It is great once I get in, and it is easy to adjust. This is more of an issue now that I have moved from an ENO DN to an 11' DIY. I thought about just adding a few feet of dynaglide or shock cord to the existing shock cord, but I don't want a knot to prevent adjust-ability. I'm open to suggestions.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    I understand what you are saying.

Same 'effects' with the WL summer UQ and 11' Snipe; however, not much of a problem.

Think I might try larksheading a short dogbone or continuous loop onto the UQ suspension (one or both ends) which may lengthen it enough to lessen the "pulling-up" effect.

If that works i won't have to worry about the TQ falling out.

Let me know if you find another solution?
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    It's normal. My Hammock Gear does that too. You want the hammock to be lifted a bit so that the UQ is up against you when you get in. This helps prevent gaps between you and the uq.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    How much is a bit though? My HG UQ lifts my hammocks up quite a bit. Unloaded it lifts my 11' hammock as high as the ridgeline. My 10' hammocks a lil less than that but still a good bit.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    How much is a bit though? My HG UQ lifts my hammocks up quite a bit. Unloaded it lifts my 11' hammock as high as the ridgeline. My 10' hammocks a lil less than that but still a good bit.
    That sounds about like what I've got. It's almost straight across when I'm not in it. The true test will be how it works I've been down to 18* and didn't have any cold spots at all, so I count that a success. Even if you watch the video where Shug is talking about his UQ, he mentions that it will lift the hammock a bit. I'd say, if you are concerned about it, you could add some cordage and do some testing. It couldn't hurt

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    My shamu picks up my hammock a bit... I know its not your setup, but when I first set it up I got it where the hammock would just barely raise it, when I laid in it, I had gaps, so I raised it up and raised it up until I had no gaps... Now its raised fairly high... Just takes a little thought when climbing in...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'll probably just leave it for now, but I'll be sure to post information if I make any adjustments.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Images
    Not sure I understand what you are referring to. I have often said that for a Yeti to reach full warmth for me, I need the suspension pretty tight. And how I have judged "tight enough" is when it lifts the center of my unoccupied hammock by 2 or 3 feet.

Is that what you are referring to? But if so, why is that a problem? Is it appearance? If so maybe tighten it up only right before you get in. Is the peoblwm a quilt falling out?

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Not sure I understand what you are referring to. I have often said that for a Yeti to reach full warmth for me, I need the suspension pretty tight. And how I have judged "tight enough" is when it lifts the center of my unoccupied hammock by 2 or 3 feet.

Is that what you are referring to? But if so, why is that a problem? Is it appearance? If so maybe tighten it up only right before you get in. Is the peoblwm a quilt falling out?
    First note that I didn't call it a 'problem', just an issue. There is no adjustment to the length on my suspension, so I didn't have that dialing in to assure me that amount of tension was needed (and I'm sure it really isn't since it was good on a hammock 2 feet shorter than my current one). This is my first UQ, so I had nothing to compare to. Also I have not been able to make any group hangs, so I gather information via the forums.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Well...it's not uncommon for your UQ to lift your hammock 12" or even more. If you find that you are getting cold on your under side, you may be compressing your down a bit too much, but most likely that will not be an issue. I test in my backyard (several days a week) so I can bail if I have to (though I try not to since I wouldn't be able to do that in the woods).

Get out there and enjoy them piney woods!

• + New Posts