I picked up a Hennessy expedition over the holidays. And I decided to try out some winter hanging in my back yard. I received the HHSS yesterday and threw it on immediately. I slept in the system last night when it was down to about 27*. I was fairly comfortable. But I could stand to be a little warmer.

Here is what I had under me.

Hammock
SOL space blanket
SS OCF pad
Walmart CCF pad
SS under cover

I also cut the Walmart pad and slipped a partial piece under my feet. I am not sure i needed to do that though.

I also have the over cover on the system as well. I am using an old McKinley nakina mummy bag rated to 30* I believe. I had my feet in the box and spread it over me. I noticed that it was kind of nice to be able to put the part where my head is supposed to be over my face to create a little warmth cave without having the fabric on my face. That worked pretty well.

I slept in all cotton. Pants. Athletic socks. T-shirt. That's all.

One thing I am noting. I really like bottom entry, but having to reposition all the layers before I can get out is a pain. I see a zipper mod in my future.

I am having trouble getting a flat lay. If I put my feet out to the right, they are less covered by the insulation and start to get cold. Wondering if I need to look into something more roomy like a blackbird. As it stands. I end up bending my knees and going a little sideways.

I am 5'11" or so. Not overly tall.

I stuffed an old sleeping bag that my wife has had for a hundred years into the system for another test run tonight.

Supposedly, that is the beauty of the HHSS right? Throw in the kitchen sink!

Yes. I was a little cooler than I would like. But goodness my body is so much happier in the morning compared to a night on the ground.

So far. I am pleased with the system.