Backyard testing.

I picked up a Hennessy expedition over the holidays. And I decided to try out some winter hanging in my back yard. I received the HHSS yesterday and threw it on immediately. I slept in the system last night when it was down to about 27*. I was fairly comfortable. But I could stand to be a little warmer.

Here is what I had under me.

Hammock
    SOL space blanket
    SS OCF pad
    Walmart CCF pad
    SS under cover

I also cut the Walmart pad and slipped a partial piece under my feet. I am not sure i needed to do that though.

I also have the over cover on the system as well. I am using an old McKinley nakina mummy bag rated to 30* I believe. I had my feet in the box and spread it over me. I noticed that it was kind of nice to be able to put the part where my head is supposed to be over my face to create a little warmth cave without having the fabric on my face. That worked pretty well.

I slept in all cotton. Pants. Athletic socks. T-shirt. That's all.

One thing I am noting. I really like bottom entry, but having to reposition all the layers before I can get out is a pain. I see a zipper mod in my future.

I am having trouble getting a flat lay. If I put my feet out to the right, they are less covered by the insulation and start to get cold. Wondering if I need to look into something more roomy like a blackbird. As it stands. I end up bending my knees and going a little sideways.

I am 5'11" or so. Not overly tall.

I stuffed an old sleeping bag that my wife has had for a hundred years into the system for another test run tonight.

Supposedly, that is the beauty of the HHSS right? Throw in the kitchen sink!

Yes. I was a little cooler than I would like. But goodness my body is so much happier in the morning compared to a night on the ground.

So far. I am pleased with the system.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    adjwebbing/whoopie
    Trial and error just need to find what’s good for you.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Sheltowee 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I am trying out my New HH Expedition tomorrow night. I am currently sewing some para cord to the bottom of an old sleeping bag, that I stuffed the Walmart Blue CCF inside. I am going to use it as my UQ. I may also stuff in a reflective foil backed tarp as the top layer of the UQ. I am going to use a 30* bag inside the hammock as my top quilt. The temp tonight is around 29* but it is supposed to be warmer tomorrow night around 32* This is the blue ccf pad in my old sleeping bag with the foil reflective tarp as a makeshift under quilt. Now to figure out a way to attach it to the underside of my hammock.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...p?i=19637&c=13
    Last edited by nj4x4fever; 01-07-2013 at 22:57. Reason: adding a photo or a link

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'll be trying out my HHSS tomorrow night in the backyard. I have an explorer deluxe, which I think is much better for space than the expedition.
    It's only going down to -1C, but that's still colder than I have hung yet.
    My overcover has not arrived yet, so I'll be trying it without for this time.

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You could try some warmer clothes.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by funkho View Post
    Yes. I was a little cooler than I would like. But goodness my body is so much happier in the morning compared to a night on the ground.

So far. I am pleased with the system.
    Where, specifically, were you cold at?

On top? You probably need to supplement the sleeping bag with something else, or wait til you get the overcover. Make sure that your tarp is blocking any and all wind as well.

On bottom? That could be an issue with not enough insulation supplementing the HHSS itself.

Next run, try to pay attention to SPECIFICALLY where you're cold at...on the bottom, then you need to improve that insulation. On the top...improve the top insulation. All over? Then add insulation to both, make sure you're not letting too much air near your hammock from outside by adjusting your tarp and the direction you're hanging your hammock (never let the wind blow up the ends of your hammock).

So far, I've been out down to 22F with the HHSS and not yet used the overcover.

Hammock
    HH Deep jungle Safari
    Tarp
    HH Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeplin
    Suspension
    Stock (for now)
    Owl,
    Did you add anything to the SS other than the pad and space blanket?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I think I did. I'm thinking I added a lightweight fleece blanket to the HHSS those nights instead of throwing it into the hammock with me like I do sometimes.

Other thing to note, is that I slept in mid-weight winter baselayers (top and bottom), heavy duty wool socks I keep specifically for sleeping in, and a wool buff on my head most of the night.

I also do NOT use a sleeping bag like a top quilt...I use it like a sleeping bag, with me crawling into it and folding it over the top of me, or zipping it up. It's a little work in a hammock, but spreading/laying it out before you climb in helps considerably.

I've found that FOR ME, this is warmer than using it as a topquilt.

Again...take note of specifically WHERE you're experiencing the cold on your body...that can help you zero in where you need to improve your insulation.

• + New Posts