Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hello from Florida

Hi all,

I am so excited to find this forum! For the last 6 months or so I have been really stressed out and found myself wanting (needing?) a hammock for the yard. I'm not really even sure when or why that thought came to me really. On Black Friday I saw this on sale at Amazon! I love my hammock...so much that it has never even been to the yard & I haven't slept in my bed since early December.

However, I live in a small house and the stand really takes up too much room. So I am trying to figure out how to hang the hammock over my bed (I feel like I should keep the bed, just in case). The head of the bed is against the wall so I figured I could attach one end of the hammock there but then the other end is sticking out into the floor (only possible configuration with the windows & doors of the room). I would love to install some sort of post or maybe the floor to ceiling chain idea I read about here (cannibal?).

My issue is the house is a 14 year old manufactured home. Materials are cheaper- 1/4" drywall for instance- & maybe not as sturdy?? I am willing to use the 2x4 horizontally across several studs at the head of the bed but is there a way to tell if the floor & ceiling joists are strong enough to use the chain method at the foot of the bed? If so, would it be better to use the floor to ceiling chain at the head of the bed too? The ceiling is comprised of those panels (white textured appearance) and can not easily be spackled to cover a large hole so I would want to just connect the eye bolt (or whatever) into the joist without first using a hole saw to see it. Is that feasible?

Lastly, I think the room is 15' wide with 7' ceilings...should I just attach on the opposite wall??

Thanks for any help you can offer. I am reading everything I can find on the subject so please point me in the right direction if it has been posted before.

cyn in fl

Hey from one state up. I don't know the answer, but if someone does, they are here! Great info from these people. Welcome.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from another Floridian.
    Don't know the answer to your question, but be aware that hammocks put a lot of strain on the things they hang from. Be careful or you could do some damage! I'm sure you will find a way!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Take MADD's advise, found out on the last hang when the tree hugger broke just how much force a loaded hammock exerts on it's attachments. Years ago had a double wide demolished because I couldn't even give it away. It's scary when you get behind that 1/4" drywall. 2x4 studs with 1x2 top plates and rafters constructed of 2x2! And a lot of it just held togeather with foam and staples. Here is what I sleep in every night, http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=35273. Got it cheap from my wife's aunt but saw one new recently at Walmart for about $75.00. Used to find them beside the road or at yard sales before the current economics. The only loading here is on the floor which could be particle board. I found enough material in the swing to extend the frame out to 11'. Think I bought 5 bolts and a can of paint.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to HF! Do a search for Dejoha's posts and you will find a fine drawing that he posted on making a pipe hammock stand. It seems to me that it would work very well in your situation.
    Terry

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Welcome from south Texas...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Welcome from Jax!
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Greetings Bestdogever and welcome to HF!

Thanks for the warm welcome & valuable info. I am thinking about the pipe stand but i actually have a lead on a swing cheap so I'm going to run with that option first. I will post questions on olddogs original thread when i have them (I'm sure i will!)

Thanks again,
    Cyn in FL

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Welcome from WI. Enjoy being on board with this site.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast