Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix &Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch hook/whoopie
    I have a double nest and while I agree with removing the bag and suspension (mine is still in process), it seems like a waste to remove the "wings." I like to use those to "wrap up with." I can very comfortably lay to one side then take the other and roll it completely over myself like a cocoon, even with an underquilt. Just my two cents. Not an expert here.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Just swingin View Post
    I have a double nest and while I agree with removing the bag and suspension (mine is still in process), it seems like a waste to remove the "wings." I like to use those to "wrap up with." I can very comfortably lay to one side then take the other and roll it completely over myself like a cocoon, even with an underquilt. Just my two cents. Not an expert here.
    I agree with you. It seems from reading here that a lot of people are bothered by 'floppy sides' but I actually really like having them.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    You could always make a ridgeline organizers... It would probably come in lighter than the stuff sack and still give you the function... I have some made out of mesh that are on all of my hammocks... It is nice when hanging in the back yard to hang the cellphone up there and watch NetFlix through the mesh
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    I've found that that has some adverse effects on the way the sides of the hammock hang. Now I hang everything off my ridgeline instead. It's much easier to get to that way anyway.

I cut the bags off my GT Single and Double last night. Now they're not in the way and as an added bonus I have two new (matching) bishop bags thanks to a few minutes with a rivet kit.
    Appreciate thte ideas. I guess this boils down to types of use. I have my Hennessey with a full ridgeline. My ENO is still quite stock and I really only used it for overnights when I had to send the Hennessey back for some work (snapped ridegeline). Maybe I will look into pimping out my doublenest. Since I just toss it in the truck or motorcycle to have as a 'just in case I might find a spot to hang for a nap' hammock at the moment I like having it in it's own carry case with the strap. Again I am sure it boils down to your use and whether it's your main overnight hammock.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    Appreciate thte ideas. I guess this boils down to types of use. I have my Hennessey with a full ridgeline. My ENO is still quite stock and I really only used it for overnights when I had to send the Hennessey back for some work (snapped ridegeline). Maybe I will look into pimping out my doublenest. Since I just toss it in the truck or motorcycle to have as a 'just in case I might find a spot to hang for a nap' hammock at the moment I like having it in it's own carry case with the strap. Again I am sure it boils down to your use and whether it's your main overnight hammock.
    Gotcha. I'm still not sure what my main hammock is between the two (it's looking like the single will win) so I'm setting them both up as I would want for backpacking. Then the other will become a loaner for converting ground dwellers. I have a GTUL with stock suspension in my truck at all times, so I know where you're coming from with that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY

Amsteel Loops let me keep the short hang option

I made some loops from leftover Amsteel (there's a write up somewhere in the forums).
    They make it easy to shorten the hang with a larks head (girth hitch?) around the end of the hammock extend the tree straps if needed. I made my slings a little on the long side, so I really needed to have a short hang option.
    Hope the photos help.
    Frame on left shows the extended minimum hang distance inherent to whoopie slings.
    Top is a continuos amsteel loop
    Bottom, hitched up nice and short.

Nice thing about the loops, they're easily triple purpose items. I use them to extend my tree straps when needed and they can be a handy loop attached to my ridgeline (or almost any line) with a girth hitch or prussik knot.

Definitely echo the "change suspension" weight loss option. Not only is the stock suspension too heavy, but the slap straps sag terribly.

I didn't cut up my DoubleNest, too fond of it as is. When I pack it up, I just start rolling it at one end, that wraps up one sling in the hammock, so when I stuff in the 2nd half, my sling is ready to go at the top of the bag.

I'm just a noob here, so hopefully I'm getting this stuff right!

Last edited by TheQ; 01-18-2013 at 15:24.
    Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, & narrow-mindedness, & many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men & things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
    Mark Twain

Hammocking in SoCal

Hammock
    tablecloth/homemade
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This is pretty much what I have chosen to do over whoopies. I am replacing my standard suspension with 6" loops and lighter carabiners. I already have the Python straps so I figured might as well use them for now. I would eventually like to go with a cinch buckle strap and loops, but all in due time! My only knock was I wish the loops I got had been just a bit longer, maybe a couple of inches, so I could've run them through the gathered end twice, but they'll do for now. Besides, that gives me an incentive to try my hand at the art of Amsteel down the road! Thanks to all for the advice and handy suggestions.

Hey ditch the carabiner totally, they are HEAVY. Cut that stupid knot off ad run amsteal or paracord through the slot and tie a bowline in the end. I use a ring friction lock (1 ring). Ill post pics on how I did it. It's lite and it all fits in the same package. Problly cost me an extra $10 to mod the whole thing. Takes 2 min to set up and no real k it's marlin spike is a beautifull thing.

Hammock
    Eno Dn, Sn, DIY "Ahote"
    Tarp
    DIY soon
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I made some loops from leftover Amsteel (there's a write up somewhere in the forums).
    They make it easy to shorten the hang with a larks head (girth hitch?) around the end of the hammock extend the tree straps if needed. I made my slings a little on the long side, so I really needed to have a short hang option.
    Hope the photos help.
    Frame on left shows the extended minimum hang distance inherent to whoopie slings.
    Top is a continuos amsteel loop
    Bottom, hitched up nice and short.

Nice thing about the loops, they're easily triple purpose items. I use them to extend my tree straps when needed and they can be a handy loop attached to my ridgeline (or almost any line) with a girth hitch or prussik knot.

Definitely echo the "change suspension" weight loss option. Not only is the stock suspension too heavy, but the slap straps sag terribly.

I didn't cut up my DoubleNest, too fond of it as is. When I pack it up, I just start rolling it at one end, that wraps up one sling in the hammock, so when I stuff in the 2nd half, my sling is ready to go at the top of the bag.

I'm just a noob here, so hopefully I'm getting this stuff right!

I just changed my Dn to whoopies and I never thought of carrying the extra loops. Great idea.
    Enjoy life's journey, but leave no tracks...

Mahna Mahna...

"The more we hang, the more we have to leave in the end" -Gresh

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345