Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    I am trying to figure out why you would want to remove the stuff sack? Once it's gone where are you stuffing the hammock? If you are then carrying around another stuff sack isn't that pretty much a zero sum? I get it if you are tossing it into a backpack, but then you have to worry about the same issues mentioned above like things snagging on the fabric. I can see maybe removing the cinch strap and buckle but in my opinion if you are down to sawing off the sack on an Eno, are you also cutting your hair and trimming nails before you leave as well? It just seems like the pros and cons don't add up to me.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    I am trying to figure out why you would want to remove the stuff sack? Once it's gone where are you stuffing the hammock? If you are then carrying around another stuff sack isn't that pretty much a zero sum? I get it if you are tossing it into a backpack, but then you have to worry about the same issues mentioned above like things snagging on the fabric. I can see maybe removing the cinch strap and buckle but in my opinion if you are down to sawing off the sack on an Eno, are you also cutting your hair and trimming nails before you leave as well? It just seems like the pros and cons don't add up to me.
    I use a bishop bag for fast deployment... The attached stuffsack is clumsy at best.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly, Toxoway
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    I replaced the stock rope and biner with AHE chain link and buckles. I removed the stuff sack from the hammock, then removed the compression strap from the stuff sack, punched a hole in the end, whip stitched it to make a bishop bag. Later I cut the flaps off the sides and used one side to make a snakeskin for my tarp.

Before doing this my doblenest weighed 22 oz. After modding it weighed
    18 oz. No change in how the hammock lays, lots of difference in ease of use.
    The suspenion change was the biggest difference.

You'll have to be the judge if those few ounces are worth the work.
    2 trees, 2 straps, 2 minutes.., 2 comfy 2 care

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If you do leave the stuff sack on at least remove the webbing/buckle on the bottom of the stuff sack. It will shave about an ounce off your weight. A seam ripper and a few minutes and its gone.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I removed the buckles and strap from the stuff sack and completely removed the suspension and added whoopies. Here's a tutorial on removing the suspension: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXlwPKoKw9Q
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I am trying to figure out why you would want to remove the stuff sack? Once it's gone where are you stuffing the hammock?
    I generally stuff everything lose in my pack. Everything. It's the most efficient way to fill a pack. Just plan it so no sharp object are near snagable stuff(off hand I can't think of many sharp objects I carry lose in my pack). Cutting off the stuff sack is not necessarily for the weight savings. It's for leaving no dead space in the pack. Just a thing I have for trying to keep my base weight, before food and water, at around 16 lbs.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by HangingOut View Post
    I generally stuff everything lose in my pack. Everything. It's the most efficient way to fill a pack. Just plan it so no sharp object are near snagable stuff(off hand I can't think of many sharp objects I carry lose in my pack). Cutting off the stuff sack is not necessarily for the weight savings. It's for leaving no dead space in the pack. Just a thing I have for trying to keep my base weight, before food and water, at around 16 lbs.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the other replies as well. I like to use the stuff sack to put things like my cell phone in when I am hanging in my eno so I am not going to be cutting mine off.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Gotcha. Thanks for the other replies as well. I like to use the stuff sack to put things like my cell phone in when I am hanging in my eno so I am not going to be cutting mine off.
    You could always make a ridgeline organizers... It would probably come in lighter than the stuff sack and still give you the function... I have some made out of mesh that are on all of my hammocks... It is nice when hanging in the back yard to hang the cellphone up there and watch NetFlix through the mesh
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I've found that that has some adverse effects on the way the sides of the hammock hang. Now I hang everything off my ridgeline instead. It's much easier to get to that way anyway.

I cut the bags off my GT Single and Double last night. Now they're not in the way and as an added bonus I have two new (matching) bishop bags thanks to a few minutes with a rivet kit.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix &Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch hook/whoopie
    I actually have a question about this. Did you replace the rope with a continuous loop? If so what length loop works?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I lightened my DN by completely removing the stock suspension and replacing it with Dutch cinch buckles and Amsteel. You definitely don't need those stock steel biners. They weigh a ton.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast