Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    JJ,

Have you, or anyone else, done a rudimentary study on the ring buckle system and the webbing slip phenomenom some have experienced?

Like I said, when I created and used my ring buckle system a week or so ago...I experienced some slipping, even while using a half hitch in the webbing right behind the rings to try and prevent the slipping.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but after getting my Omega Pacific rappel rings out and looking at them and playing around...it got me wondering: does the size of the rings make a difference?

By that, I mean the thickness. I don't mean circumference. Do thinner rings hold better? These Omega Pacific rings are THICK. I wonder if the thickness is preventing a tight purchase on the webbing.

I wonder if using the thinner SMC rappel rings would have made all the difference...

Think there's a connection there or am I just grasping?

i've seen those things, and they are really FAT. i wondered if they would cause problems with that as well, looks like they do. get some skinny rings and you should have no problems.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    Jeff wrt point #3 - this is something that I picked up from an _old_ Safari Deluxe that came with straps - I just use a round turn and two half hitches with the strap instead of using the 4 wrap knot - note the second half hitch is slipped - this is the way I also tie the lines from my tarp to the trees, the only difference is the use of a strap instead of line
    cordage might be more of a problem with wear on the strap
    hog, check out the buntline, or slipped buntline if your tying to a ring or directly to the strap. it's very similar, it's still just 2 half hitches with the second one slipped, except you reverse their order. the second one goes behind the first rather than in front of it. the first half hitch pinches the second between it and the ring so it has alot more holding power and you will no longer need a full round turn/wrap around the hardware. this doesn't even slip when tying directly to a steel ring with amsteel and loading hammock with 2 people. (300+).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I bought the red 1 inch webbing and my purple 2 inch rings and I'm working on how to attach everything to my hammock. Your pictures really help a lot. I read 50+ pages of the thread on rings and was exhausted! since I bought 30 ft of webbing, I planned on using 15 ft on each side... but I'm thinking 7.5 feet would probably be enough and I'd have enough to use on another hammock... just thinking ahead...

Hammock
    BB,HH, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    MacCat, JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Images
    Jeff:

Thanks for providing a great web site for hammock camping. I have referred many new hikers/campers not only to this form, but also to your site. It’s difficult to keep up with all the new DIY projects and gear, so reading your site has been very helpful. It’s a great overview of hammock camping … Great dedication and work!

IndyDan

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ok - I know what the problem is...just gotta figure out how I want to fix it. The page is a series of tables, two cells wide. In the other sections, there is a pic in the left cell and the right cell is text, so it's free to resize to the browser window. In the tables where there are pics in both cells of a row, that table doesn't resize...even though the body division does. So the two easiest answers are to 1) remove all the pics from the right-hand cells, or 2) set a fixed table width for the body division. Opt 2 seems best, but then people with small windows will have the horizontal scroll bar on the bottom. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks to everyone for providing me these details.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    JJ,

Have you, or anyone else, done a rudimentary study on the ring buckle system and the webbing slip phenomenom some have experienced?

Like I said, when I created and used my ring buckle system a week or so ago...I experienced some slipping, even while using a half hitch in the webbing right behind the rings to try and prevent the slipping.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but after getting my Omega Pacific rappel rings out and looking at them and playing around...it got me wondering: does the size of the rings make a difference?

By that, I mean the thickness. I don't mean circumference. Do thinner rings hold better? These Omega Pacific rings are THICK. I wonder if the thickness is preventing a tight purchase on the webbing.

I wonder if using the thinner SMC rappel rings would have made all the difference...

Think there's a connection there or am I just grasping?
    Here's my .02: make sure that you have the same size webbing and that you are setting the half-hitch right. I have those same Omega-Pacific rings and have used them for almost eight months with no slippage. I use 1" webbing with the 1" rings. There has been some sag but I think that's with the webbing. It can't hurt to try different sizes, there are some smaller ones at Home Depot that are rated to 200lbs (might be too weak). I'd try different webbing before doing away with the rings. But that's just my opinion, for what its worth .

Here's a not-so-good pic of my Omega rings
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...imageuser=1458
    Last edited by Splinter; 01-04-2009 at 17:28. Reason: Thought I'd add a pic
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm wondering about the slipping you got even w/ the half hitch. I don't see any real possibility of slipping when I do mine, other than gaining a 1/2" or so as the half hitch tightens.

BTW... On injuries, I cracked a bone in my elbow when a support failure dropped me onto a hardwood floor.
    Took several months to get better<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Splinter and slowhike,

Thanks for your responses, and I don't want to take away from Just Jeff's original post for help with his new page, so forgive me if I step on toes...but for the sake of continuing this conversation...

...I used the info gained from Just Jeff's website (obligatory endorsement!), and armed with that knowledge, made my way to REI where I purchased the Omega Pacific rappel rings, 25kN carabiners, and 1" poly webbing. I had read where it's beneficial for the width of the webbing and the rings to be equal.

I will try the setup again after I experiment with just using the same 1" webbing and tying off to my trees with the improved Ed Speer 4 wrap technique. I changed the setup last night and have been in the hammock just about all day today reading and have noticed zero stretch and no slipping.

I have attached the loop end of my webbing to the carabiners at the ends of my new ENO Singlenest and run them to the trees without the use of any other hardware. I just used the new wrap method. We shall see how this works for me over the next couple of days. Just takes a wee bit longer to setup using this method. No biggie.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Your site keeps getting better and better. Thanks for your part in getting me comfortably off the ground and into the air.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    I will try the setup again after I experiment with just using the same 1" webbing and tying off to my trees with the improved Ed Speer 4 wrap technique. I changed the setup last night and have been in the hammock just about all day today reading and have noticed zero stretch and no slipping.
    HYOH...there is no right or wrong way. Just use the one that works the best for you, since your the one that will be sleeping in your hammock.

On another note...JJ thanks for all that you do on your site and HF! The site is perfect and easy to follow, ie. it makes sense how you have the ideas laid out on it.

Oh yeah...I just borrowed your tarp tensioner ideas (don't look for any royalties ).
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast