Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good point, Dave - I mentioned using the correct knots for webbing but didn't think about putting a note in there about Amsteel...I know several folks here were "let down" b/c their normal knots didn't hold. I'll go back and put a note in there under the material considerations, I think.

Maybe I should even put a "Hammock at your own risk" disclaimer b/c I can't stop everyone from doing crazy stuff when they get the mind to. "But I saw it on the internet and..."

But in that post above, we were talking specifically about the rappel rings, and I'll be very surprised when a hammocker causes a ring to fail.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Great as usual...

Jeff,
    IMHO the best "single source" for hammock camping info on the WWW. SO many different methods in one convenient location. Thanks for all the great work! I have stolen shamelessly from you many times!
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rstms View Post
    I have stolen shamelessly from you many times!
    Haha - that's why I started the page to begin with! I figured I wasn't the only one doing all this research, and it helped to get my head around it to put some sort of organization to it. And since I was already doing the work, why not share? Besides, I get lots of ideas from people improving upon what's on the page...just like what happens here at HF. Good ideas feed better ones, and everyone wins.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Justjeff.... I think it would be wise to put a disclaimer on your pages. It is a really stooopid thing to have to do and may not save you from anything. But there are stories of people who will do excatly what you joked about. "I saw it on ..." You are rapidly developing the reputation as a "go to" site for accurate and complete information. (well deserved I mgiht add) but with that reputation comes some additional exposure.

Disclaimers have become common place now days. It couldn't hurt.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Text problem starts at 3. Webbing based systems

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    How does the text get truncated? Are you using 400x600 resolution? I'll have to figure out how to fix that...I'm sure there's some easy code for it.
    I uploaded a screen capture:

(the thumbnail is bogus).
    The problem does not happen until you start section "3. Webbing based systems".

I didn't look at the HTML page source to diagnose the problem, but the fact that you now know where the problem starts should make it easier.

--Kurt

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Kurt - It doesn't show up like that on either of my computers. Can you check to see if one of the pictures in that section is extra large? They should all be set to 448x336, and when one isn't the right size I've seen it act exactly like your screen cap. If that's not the issue, I'll delve into the code. Thanks for the info and especially the screen cap.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    FTR.. it displays ok on my monitor. (Firefox 3.0.5)
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Jeff wrt point #3 - this is something that I picked up from an _old_ Safari Deluxe that came with straps - I just use a round turn and two half hitches with the strap instead of using the 4 wrap knot - note the second half hitch is slipped - this is the way I also tie the lines from my tarp to the trees, the only difference is the use of a strap instead of line
    wrt point #4 this is something I was playing with - a HAAB with the hardware removed from the cord can have the strap tied directly to the remaining loop of cord using several different knots such as a sort of sheet bend (strap end up through the middle of the loop then wrapped around as if the the cord was the sheet then tucked) or a girth hitch/larkshead tied on the cord with the strap - in either case it is a knot that is relatively easy to adjust that does not need any extra hardware - personally I am more inclined to use the single ring attachment since it is less likely to wear on the strap but ... tying directly to a HAAB cord should be OK too - other cordage might be more of a problem with wear on the strap

in all of the above the strap I am using is Strapworks 1 inch polyester with no loops sewn

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Kurt - It doesn't show up like that on either of my computers. Can you check to see if one of the pictures in that section is extra large? They should all be set to 448x336, and when one isn't the right size I've seen it act exactly like your screen cap. If that's not the issue, I'll delve into the code. Thanks for the info and especially the screen cap.
    It's a browser width issue. Simply resize your browser window so it's really narrow and you'll see what kurt posted. Ive tested it on both safari and firefox and it does it with both. Most folks never use browsers with their windows that narrow, and so they never see it, but if you're trying to keep multiple windows open on a small laptop or netbook screen I could see it happening.

I found the same thing with Firefox 3.0.5 - just size the window somewhat narrow like Mustardman said and you can see the same thing

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast