Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My $.02 as another person hyper-sensitive to PI.

For some, PI on clothing/fabrics may not be a problem, but I have gotten poison ivy from my KID's clothes after I carried an armload to the washer.

Unbroken plants? Try the leaf tip brushing softly on one spot. I had a big PI blister that took 6 weeks to heal.

Prednisone shots and pills only help me somewhat, and it still takes 6 weeks for the PI to clear.

Usually, I can't find jewel weed when I want it. When a friend helped my locate some, my rash got worse. This one wasn't from PI, but from sunscreen or bug repellant. I don't know which one got me that time. It is tough to be a redhead who is allergic to most sunscreens. I will try jewel weed again, but wil also make sure I wash my hands and the affected area first. Maybe I just respread whatever the allergen was.

I have brushed poison ivy plants doing yard work, looked down to see what I just bumped, and immediately washed the area twice with Technu and still broke out. This happened more than once. I'm glad that Technu works for some, but can't depend on it.

One big piece of advice: Get to a health food store and buy some "Rhus Tox" homeopathic pills to carry. If I THINK I have brushed some poison ivy, I try to clean it off with hand sanitizer and let a couple of Rhus Tox pills dissolve under my tougue. So far, no more rashes. If I haven't done this, the Rhus Tox pills help me more than prednisone does with fewer possible dangerous side effects. (And no doctor bill.)

Another shared piece of experince-Most of my gear has been washed on the gentle cylce of my front load washer using Atsko Sport Wash with no bad effect. I've washed items from silk dresses to Firefighter turn-out gear with this product and been happy with the results. No residue, no fading, no perfumes, no optical brighteners are in the laundry product.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    There are poison ivy oil cleaners on the market, I can't remember what I used, but it worked well on skin and I am willing to bet it will work on gear. (it was supplied by employer).

Also, crushed jewelweed works to mitigate the effects of poison ivy, and usually grows near poison ivy as it likes similar growing conditions. Not always of course, but I have found it next to each other a few times. Might want to try some jewelweed on it.

Pitcher plants are different than jewelweeds, and many pitchers are uncommon or extinct, so please don't pick those

Balsaminacea family is the jewelweeds aka touch me nots due to the seeds popping when disturbed.
    Last edited by Deadphans; 01-06-2013 at 14:18.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine2000 View Post
    I have no idea why the pictures uploaded upside down...just flip your screen over
    But it's an Ipad and it keeps just flipping over on me

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Two thoughts:

+1 on dish detergent. Usherol chemically binds WITH SKIN. Not with fabric. In fabric, ordinary grease-cutting detergents will wash it out.

My other thought is that your second outbreak may not have been a result of exposure from your gear or from your second hike. Once the steroid shot (which suppresses your immune system) wore off, your immune system immediately ramped up its response to the first exposure. Steroids have to be TAPERED off to avoid this rebound effect which is often as bad as the initial response. Perhaps your doctor should have given you oral steroids to taper off to avoid this. Don't be surprised if you get a third response when your second shot wears off even without additional exposure.

Still, it's probably a good idea to wash your gear, since you got into poison ivy somewhere. Wash your hammock in a bucket with dish detergent and rinse well with a hose. Hang to dry. Best of luck to you!!

Your other thought is right in line with what happens to many people. I literally just soaked in epsom salts and slept, just let my body fight the course. This is the first time my whole body has swollen up over such a thing, but letting my body take it's course was IMO the best option. Not a fan of steroids and most other "western" styled medicines for the above reason.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    My local arborist, who is in poison ivy all the time, recommends (like L.D. Cakes) Technu. Says it will remove the irritating oil.

I know this was a problem for you a while back but I'm from Florida and poison ivy is a big problem down here. One of the best ways to get that oily resin off of your skin fast is old school octagon lye soap. Yes...lye. For some reason there's a big stigma against it but trust me it works great and is safe to use on a bunch of stuff like laundry, pots, pans, dishes..you name it. I take it with me when I camp because it works just as well in hot or cold water so I can treat myself with whatever water is available. That and it's dirt cheap at the piggly wiggly (yes...I know...sorry I live in the South, I didn't name it). If you've got a rag or spare clean shirt with you while you're out just get it wet, rub octagon on it and scrub scrub scrub. It works awesome. The lye cuts through the resin like butter. A little hydrocortisone cream and I'm good to go .

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    According to Cooking Illustrated, "Method" dish washing soap is one of their best tested soaps for cutting through oil & other junk. I'd use this in combination with:

As odd (painful) as it may seem, use the hottest water at the highest pressure as you can stand. It washes the oils off the most completely (pepper spray is notorious for being painful your second time through the shower).

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgann View Post
    Antihistamines don't prevent a flair up. They are only there to mitigate any itching that may occur due to allergies.

Getting poison ivy, will only occur if you happen upon either a root or broken plant. The oil itself doesn't reside on the plant but within the plant. Think of it like maple syrup in the tree. So until the plant is broken, nothing is secreted.
    Each year we have a ton of poison ivy growing along our gravel road and spend early spring killing it off with gallons of spray. If we don't, and this is no joke, my Mother can pick it up simply by standing down wind.

Are you supposed to be able to got it this way? Probably not, but I think she's just lucky that way.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    Oh yeah man, if any of the plant is broken, those with allergies to the plant can get it from down wind. My grandmother has the same issue.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FBG View Post
    Each year we have a ton of poison ivy growing along our gravel road and spend early spring killing it off with gallons of spray. If we don't, and this is no joke, my Mother can pick it up simply by standing down wind.

Are you supposed to be able to got it this way? Probably not, but I think she's just lucky that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgann View Post
    Oh yeah man, if any of the plant is broken, those with allergies to the plant can get it from down wind. My grandmother has the same issue.
    I hear when it's burned the smoke can get you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast