Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best material for 4 season????

Hey guys! I have been browsing these boards for a couple weeks and finally decided to join. I have been an avid hammocker for the past few years, but have only tent camped in winter conditions. I am ordering a Dream hammock danger bird for an upcoming trip and wanted some possible input.

I am a bigger guy, (6ft1in around 275) and currently use a grand trunk single for spring/summer. I was wondering what type of material would be best for a winter/4 season hammock. I'm not a real finicky sleeper but I think a little extra room might give me some added comfort, would you guys recommend going with a 60 or 72 width on the bird?

I'm also kind of torn on the necessity of an underquilt. I was considering getting the two layer and using some closed cell foam as an insulator or even a pad beneath me, and carrying a space blanket just in case so I can wrap up the underside. I will be testing it out in the back yard for a few days before the trip as well to play around with my rig.

Thanks for any input!
    -JB-

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm not sure if one fabric for the hammock would be better than another. It should still be covered by a tarp and/or the overcover precipitation protection. Ultimately, you should go with what you find most comfy (ripstop, taffeta, etc.) as that'll be most important.

If it were me, I'd go with that 1.8oz Night Grid Camo taffeta. Looks great and should be very comfortable. In the end, though, all are probably good - I've slept on tafetta and several different ripstop nylons and never thought "boy, I don't like this one".

In terms of 60 vs 72... the 72 would definitely give more room but might end up flapping with all that fabric. Also, the length is considered more important than width in comfort. At your height, I'd go with the 11-foot model and probably split the difference in width and ask for 66".

Underquilts are definitely worth it, if you can afford them. They're widely considered to be the most comfortable (nothing impeding with the hammock) insulation option and are generally warmer than pads if you get one rated to what you need it at (they also avoid condensation issues, etc). Some of those issues become even more important when it gets really cold - I wouldn't want to fight with a pad at 5 or 10 degrees. At worst, you could get a 0 degree UQ and then supplement with a pad if you plan on going really cold.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    All Dutch
    Hello

I can say that for me the 60wide is way better that the 72. My Eno is 72 wide and there is a lot of fabric flop, plus it is harder to see over the sides when laying in it. I am very glad I took Randy’s advice when I ordered my Dangerbird and got the 60, now I am 5”7 tall. The length I would say get the 11ft.
    [/IMG]

Thanks guys!

I ended up splitting the difference in length and going 66 in, and stuck with 10 ft. My grand trunk is 10ft and 60 in and i think the little extra room will do me just fine. I sleep great in the 10 ft too so I think the length will be good. I think that it will save a little on weight, but also more versatility in hanging (which I don't see a ton of trouble finding the right distance trees but I just like the idea).

I was considering the hh hex 70d tarp. Any input? Gets good reviews, biggest complaint is weight/bulk. I like the idea of the cost and seems to perform well in heavy rain. thanks again guys!

-JB-

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jb85 View Post
    Thanks guys!

I ended up splitting the difference in length and going 66 in, and stuck with 10 ft. My grand trunk is 10ft and 60 in and i think the little extra room will do me just fine. I sleep great in the 10 ft too so I think the length will be good. I think that it will save a little on weight, but also more versatility in hanging (which I don't see a ton of trouble finding the right distance trees but I just like the idea).

I was considering the hh hex 70d tarp. Any input? Gets good reviews, biggest complaint is weight/bulk. I like the idea of the cost and seems to perform well in heavy rain. thanks again guys!

-JB-
    The HH hex 70d is a good buy - I used it for 3 years before donating it. It's bomb proof - and not THAT heavy. It'll do you very well till you save up for that Cuban Tarp.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Thanks again!

I did end up getting a 20 degree underquilt, which I think will be sufficient, especially with my 0 degree bag. I can't wait to get all my new stuff and do some testing. I will probably order that hexfly next week. First week end in Feb will be a fun one!

-JB-

• + New Posts