Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Superfly and seam seal

I understand that Brandon handles his seam a little different than others and it doesn't typically require seam seal. I am looking at the pole mod from 2QZQ, which they have informed me it will require the seam to be sealed after they do their mod. It made me curious, has anyone ever had to seal their Superfly seam down the road under normal use? If not, the mod makes me apprehensive to mess with a good thing. Thoughts...

swank

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Tagged for curiosity...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

I'm also thinking of doing this. Anyone that has the pole mod and seam sealed experience any trouble?

Images
    Donna adds a ribbon on the inside of the tarp on the ridgeline for tying the pole. All you need to seal is where that ribbon was sewn on.

Images
    Yes, I understand the procedure, the concern is I just opened up a seam that may very well never need to be sealed.

swank

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Yes, I understand the procedure, the concern is I just opened up a seam that may very well never need to be sealed.

swank
    Oh, you opened up the seam? If your messing with that ridgeline at all, I'd seal it just for peace of mind.

Images
    "I", didn't. In order to do the pole mod, 2QZQ opens up the seam in the middle to attach a tying ribbon for the pole in the center. This action then requires you to seal the ridgleine seam on a tarp that does not require seam sealing.

My question was, has anyone EVER had to seal their seam on an unaltered Superfly, because it started leaking. If this has never happened, then I am reluctant to have that seam opened.

swank

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    "I", didn't. In order to do the pole mod, 2QZQ opens up the seam in the middle to attach a tying ribbon for the pole in the center. This action then requires you to seal the ridgleine seam on a tarp that does not require seam sealing.

My question was, has anyone EVER had to seal their seam on an unaltered Superfly, because it started leaking. If this has never happened, then I am reluctant to have that seam opened.

swank
    I have never sealed mine. Sometimes there can be slight drips coming through the side tieouts in a prolonged downpour but never enough to drive me to seal them up. I have had my SF out in plenty of foul weather situations. Most memorably the second Hoosier Hang.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    has anyone ever had to seal their Superfly seam down the road under normal use?
    i have brandons BMJ and i know he does the seams the same way on that and i haven't had to seal it as of yet (did do the pullouts like he suggests tho) been using it for over 2 years with no problems.....now if the ridgeline has been messed with it might be a good idea to seal it

might want to send brandon an email and get his opinion on it, maybe it will be ok if it get put back together the same way

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    He didn't open it, but 2QZQ will when they add that ribbon for the pole mod. I got a PM from them on what they have to do. Personally, I'm not interested in having to open up the ridge seam on my SF, when I get it. I am either going to run a ridgeline, or do an outside pole mod. Either way, I'm waiting until I get my SF, and get a good look at it before doing anything.......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast