Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gathered end hammock construction for a big dude.

I've been going through the search and only found a couple references to this being done, and they were a couple years or more old.

Basically, I'm looking to build my own, first hammock (because I like the DIY approach to things). I'm 5'10" and 300lbs, but losing weight thankfully - down 20lbs!

Anyway, I was thinking... And I'm somewhat clueless to this, but, 1.7 ripstop, doubled - would that work?

Should I be using heavy duty dyneema cordage or should I go for webbing?

Can I get some supplier links for places to get nylon (craft/Joann stores are a hike for me, I live in the boonies)?

Am I asking too many or the wrong questions? lol

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Doubled 1.7 ripstop should be fine. If you don't mind carrying the extra weight, you might want to think about making a crinkle taffeta tablecloth hammock. A single layer should hold you just fine, but you could make a double layer of those, too. They are available in many colors at www.tableclothsfactory.com. The website runs free shipping or 20% off sales quite often. You can get 90"x156" wide ones, and cut them down to make an 11' long hammock, which many find very comfortable to get a nice flat lie.
    As for cordage, do you mean for tree straps or suspensions? For tree straps, you'll probably want to go with at least 1"wide poly webbing. For suspensions, either webbing or amsteel. I think some people hang from dynema, but probably only if they are under 200lbs, if I am correct. You could use it for your ridgeline, though. There are many places online to get DIY supplies. Check out DIY Gear Supply. They have a lot of what you really looking for.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Are you backpacking or car camping? Does weight matter?

If you're car Camping, Tri-Glides and straps is a great suspension option...

Arrowhead-equipment.com sells nice suspension setups. 7/64ths amsteel will hold you just fine, just keep to the 30-degree rule...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I like making my own gear and have made a lot for my hanging friends, too. Let me know if I can help in any way. :-)
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

My typical woodsbumming is wandering out into the local national forest or woods in which I have permission and setting up camp. I'm not the type that hikes more than 3-5 miles (yet).

Weight doesn't bother me TOO much... Heck, I currently use a small canvas pack, so, yeah. I'm more minimalist than UL. That said, I do use certain UL options if they are bombproof. I like gear that I can hand down. :P

Interesting re: those table cloths! Kinda like that idea...

As far as cordage.... Yeah, I meant the tree hanging portions. I know Warbonnet uses straps, but most gathered end tutorials I've seen use, I guess, amsteel.

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    I'm a pretty big guy - 260# at the moment... I've experimented with various materials and hanging methods and found I can hang in pretty much any weight hammock as long as I whip the ends and hang the suspension from this...

The gathered end (via amsteel strung through a multiple rolled tunnel, then multi stitched) didn't work for me. I think the chord was too small and all the pressure from me hanging transferred from the hammock into the chord through a very concentrated radius - tearing out the hammock.

A larger chord on my walmart hammock has held up over time though. The bearing area is greater between the loop and the hammock material.

If you are going to gather the ends, then I would say use strapping or larger diameter chording.

Lightest weight hammock I've made is 1.4oz ripstop nylon. It's fine but I'm more at ease hanging in my 40D ripstop nylon. I can hang in this one with my 8yo son with no problems or fear of ripping. It's ends are whipped using 550 parachord. The suspension is 3/8 inch diameter chord (hung indoors using eye bolts). I also have straps for hanging outdoors.

I would think the nylon taffeta from tableclothsfactory.com would be ideal for indoor and short outdoor excursions.

Good luck,
    Dennis

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I love the tablecloth... I have the smallest of.the rectangular ones (132x60) or something like that... They are really comfy... I have had 250 in it swinging like crazy like a big swing with my daughter and I... I'm sure it would hold you...

Polyester tree straps, and some 7/64 amsteel whoopie slings would hold you... If you want the extra piece of mind the 1/8 aren't that much heavier, but would be over kill... Learn to tie a marlin spike hitch and pick up a stick or an old arrow shaft and your good to go...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY Nest
    Insulation
    Old Bag
    Suspension
    Huggahs
    I am 5'10" and 300lbs as well. I make my own hammocks using a single layer of 1.9 ripstop and I have never had issues. For long term use I would make a double layer, but I've never broken a single layer 1.9.

Thanks for the comments guys! Giving me much to think about.

Those tablecloths do interest me. Wonder what the weight difference between that and 1.9 ripstop is?

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskersnitch View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys! Giving me much to think about.

Those tablecloths do interest me. Wonder what the weight difference between that and 1.9 ripstop is?
    I like the tablecloth fabric better... The only reason I don't use it all the time is no bugnet yet... But someone may have some weights... I meant to weight it at a friends house but got to busy having fun...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast