Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Krafcik View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the help.

Being that I'm in houston, most of my camping will be in a very hot and humid enviornment. I tend to sleep hot. Is their a temperature range in which you don't even mess with an UQ?
    For me, heck yes! Apparently most folks need insulation anywhere below 70 or even at higher temps, but I am OK at maybe as low as 65 assuming wind is well blocked by the tarp and I am dry, and certainly if I am wearing a little something other than a cotton tee shirt, like warm long johns or very light fleece. Or if I have a light synthetic sleeping bag with me and lay on top of that, then for sure down to 65 OK. But so far for me, above 70 and dry and out of the wind, I can't see needing anything. In fact, for me one of the great benefits of hammocks in the summer is their cooling ability, compared with being in a small tent in the humid 70s with another person. Keep in mind, I am writing from hot, humid MS! And also I am frequently using double layer hammocks like the BB, if that is a factor at all? Maybe worth a degree or 2 or 3?

But though not all that much of a hot sleeper, I am probably way in the minority on that. But this is easily tested by you in your back yard, and individual testing is highly recommended. Because, YMMV!

Testing might be a problem. My backyard is about the size of a mid-size car (darn townhome).

I think I'll get a neat sheet, sew the handles on it and make it an underquilt. That sounds like I'll be good to go for most of the summer.

Plus, I'm the type of guy that opens the windows when it's in the 40's while i sleep.

Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    For me, heck yes! Apparently most folks need insulation anywhere below 70 or even at higher temps, but I am OK at maybe as low as 65 assuming wind is well blocked by the tarp and I am dry, and certainly if I am wearing a little something other than a cotton tee shirt, like warm long johns or very light fleece. Or if I have a light synthetic sleeping bag with me and lay on top of that, then for sure down to 65 OK. But so far for me, above 70 and dry and out of the wind, I can't see needing anything. In fact, for me one of the great benefits of hammocks in the summer is their cooling ability, compared with being in a small tent in the humid 70s with another person. Keep in mind, I am writing from hot, humid MS!

But though not all that much of a hot sleeper, I am probably way in the minority on that. But this is easily tested by you in your back yard, and individual testing is highly recommended. Because, YMMV!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Does everyone concur that this is the best option (compared to the Jack's R Better version)?
    Yep!

Additionally . . . what else do I need?
    Define "need".

- I was thinking a Jack's R Better Quilt to keep warm, but what about for underneath me?
    The Jacks make great quilts; I have 3. Brandon (WBG) makes a super torso UQ if you are open to a relatively new way to insulate below. You said you roll the windows down at 40F (I can relate), but that neat sheet UQ probably won't take you that far down in a hammock. Remember, bridges freeze first.

- What about a tarp?
    I treat them the way many women treat shoes; gotta have the right one for the trip at hand. The MacCats are a great option and can be used in most conditions.

Does your townhome have a basement? I seal the door to the upstairs real well then open the window in the basement; gets plenty cold enough to test.

Good luck and have fun tricking out your new bed.
    Trust nobody!

Define "need" - cool gadget or toy to make my life easier while backpacking

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Yep!

Define "need".

The Jacks make great quilts; I have 3. Brandon (WBG) makes a super torso UQ if you are open to a relatively new way to insulate below. You said you roll the windows down at 40F (I can relate), but that neat sheet UQ probably won't take you that far down in a hammock. Remember, bridges freeze first.

I treat them the way many women treat shoes; gotta have the right one for the trip at hand. The MacCats are a great option and can be used in most conditions.

Does your townhome have a basement? I seal the door to the upstairs real well then open the window in the basement; gets plenty cold enough to test.

Good luck and have fun tricking out your new bed.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Well then, you'll be needing some glow-in-the-dark guy line locks!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    If you're already ordering from Warbonnetguy, his tarps are a good choice. I have the regular hex (no doors) tarp from him and it's a solid tarp at a pretty good price.

If you're going to be camping in truly crappy weather, his superfly would be an excellent option. It's a bit heavier than some other options out there, but the addition of the doors would sure be nice when the rain is a-blowin or it gets really cold. I know I'm kicking myself for going with the regular hex, and I've wished for those doors on at least one occasion.

do you guys know if Brandon ever gives color options?

Images
    do you guys know if Brandon ever gives color options?
    just the color options on the website,

1.1 is dark grey (or mint green seconds)
    1.7 is od green
    tarps available in blue or black

Thank you sir.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    You'll probably only need an UQ from Dec - Feb in Houston, where it's over 70 degrees most of the rest of the year. But you'll need a BIG tarp to keep all that rain off, and I'd suggest the MacCat Deluxe. I'm in Brenham and just learning. Wish I'd known about Blackbirds before I invested in a couple of HHs... (one Exped, then a ligher BULA) Of course, most of my hammocking won't be here, it's on the Appalachian Trail.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast