Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I am looking at this very differently Jayson I have stealth camped all over England and Wales. The soil is far more forgiving there than here... Here it is very rocky and in my yard the nails will not work... The plastic knobs will not work. The pucks with holes will make a huge difference. The struts are awesome - if they can accept other manufactures. The ideas are sound.
    I'd like a bit of info on the different loads at the three plates.

I will say up-front that patents and patents pending on this design should be respected. I've been here at HF long enough to see that nobody else has presented either the analysis of loads and forces or suggested the engineering solutions. So: Kudos and profits to the company that brought this to market.

That said, Wise Old Owl's presentation cannot be uncommon. Everybody who has tried to drive stakes -- more often in the population of campers for a tarp or tent because hammockers are more rare -- has faced this problem.

The difference with tent or tarp / rain-fly is that the exact location of the stake is not critical. Small rock in the way? No problem. Try again somewhere within a foot / 30cm radius. Surprised to hit a root? No sweat. There may be optimal locations, but second best, even 3 feet / 1 meter elsewhere is likely OK, at worst with a few adjustments to other lines.

So, Jason: When presented with a lot of difficult soil, which plates and spots on the grid are most critical in getting the stakes well-anchored? Or, does your analysis and engineering design result in well-shared loads?
    Last edited by DemostiX; 06-12-2013 at 14:48.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    You can get away with single stakes if they are strong enough and staked at a 60?degree

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/04/3...hammock-stand/
    http://galton.org/cgi-bin/searchImag...ravel_0178.htm

Hammock
    Handy Hammock
    Insulation
    Bespoke
    Images
    Hi DemostiX

If you are in rocky ground your best bet it to locate one of the ground-anchor plates first then find a spot for its partner plate. Bringing the anchors closer together slightly does alter the geometry of the struts/guy-lines and the associated stresses so try to keep deviations small from the but if you try to keep the strut angled at about 60 degrees and the struts in the same vertical plane you should be ok.

The sag factor of the hammock can be varied quite a lot so if needbe bring the 2nd strut (and its ground anchors) closer if it avoids rocky patches. 10-12 inches is fine much more nd you butt will start getting close to the ground.

Basically, try to keep the struts close to 60 and in a vertical plane and the anchors as wide as their tethers will allow and symetrical.
    Handy Hammock: The Worlds lightest portable hammock stand (54 ounces inc hammock)

Review: Handy Hammock stand!

I have made the recommended adjustments to to the system to fit my hammock and to secure the disks for quicker set up. I have one question to those of you that have made the adjustments. How do you pack up the disks with all the rope attached? The first time I packed it, I wound the rope carefully, but when I set it up a few days later it was a rats nest of rope. I have a system that works now, but I'll bet someone else has a better way to store them. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by C&PDad View Post
    How do you pack up the disks with all the rope attached? The first time I packed it, I wound the rope carefully, but when I set it up a few days later it was a rats nest of rope. I have a system that works now, but I'll bet someone else has a better way to store them. I would appreciate any thoughts.
    Very important. As with traditional UQ suspensions, highly adjustable with long cords, untangle time is hard to predict and never welcome.

How about tongue depressers, 6" x 1", with a diagonal slot near each end as mini-cordage coilers? For safety of gear, cut the equivalent out of the sides of plastic containers.

I use 1/2" x 4" Velcro strips on all tarp tieouts to manage that stuff.

Review: Handy Hammock stand!

I just fold in half a couple of times and then tie it off with an overhand knot.

Hammock
    10' SFOC
    Has there been any news on these types of stands lately? I see the website is down (asking as a potential customer).
    Chris Siebenaler
    Sloth and Fox Outdoor Company
    Amazon
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Website

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    tensa outdoors my dude

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Images
    In 2017 Jason fromHandy Hammock Ltd. wrote in the newsletter

"For those of you still reading, I thought I'd let you know that my involvement in the Handy Hammock story has come to an end as I wasn't able to commit the time/resources that making/selling them required. Handy Hammock Ltd is being wound up but the good news is that a Scottish company (DD Hammocks) are taking production and sale of Handy Hammock stands forwards. It's really great news for the future of Handy Hammock stands and I'm delighted that the product will still be available.

Last year Dizzy, the inventor of Handy Hammock managed to secure continued production and sale of Handy Hammock stands with Nick at DD Hammocks and they worked over the Summer to get production set up from Nick's base in Edinburgh and production commenced in late 2016. DD Hammocks has an excellent reputation for high quality products and the stands being produced use the thicker (stronger) aramid core in the strut cords giving additional margins of strength for real world use/miss-use. Another improvement that Dizzy and Nick have made is the stand pegs have an improved design for ease of removal so the current model is the best ever.

If you don't already own one, check out http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/hammock_stands or email [email protected] for further information."

Unfortunately in 2018 the stand disapeared from DD Hammock's website.
    Omnia vincit lectulus pensilis.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Images
    And that's what Joe @ DD Hammocks said: "Sorry to have to disappoint, our Ultralight Hammock Stand has been discontinued. We may well look into offering a similar product again in the future however."
    Omnia vincit lectulus pensilis.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast