Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am trying to get my HHSS set up just right, and I am noticing that pads are a lot easier to "plug and play". You basically make sure the pad is under you. That is it. Seems like all other systems require fiddling.

I am sure that be fiddling pays off, but I will second the absolute ease of that pad under you.

Good luck with the test.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakfoot View Post
    ... The sides are snug as well and there seems to be a little air space on the bottom so there don't seem to be any fit problems...
    Your under-quilt(UQ) should be snug to the entire bottom of the hammock or else you get the problem that you describe. Tighten up your UQ! Remember to make it snug not tight (there is a difference) and don't leave any air gaps.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    There are a few specifics that may help with getting the quilt set best on your hammock.

First. the side guy outs on the HH should be reasonably loose. If they are two tight the hammock would be pulling the quilt flatter and opening an air gap.

Second. Don't over-tighten the cords of the quilt. You want things to be snug not tight. Couple things can happen if the quilt is pulled to tight. On the end channels you can cause wrinkles in the insulation that will form air gaps. Second again you can pull the quilt to tight on the ends which will pull it away from the hammock again...air gaps.

From your description of a light breeze pulling the heat out and then taking a while to warm again sounds exactly like an air gap problem....you have a air pocket between the hammock and quilt. This air pocket is very easy to cool off...even just shifting around in the hammock can make it cool down. Your feeling the air in the gap slowly warm but then it cools with little movement be it you or the air around you. With the quilt fitting better the insulation will trap and hold the heat much better. If you get into the hammock in moderate temps like you described you should feel heat radiating back at you in a matter of moments if its fitting the hammock well.

As others above have mentioned find a test assistant to lay in the hammock...then tighten it up tight...watch how the quilt pulls...then loosen slowly and see how it changes....now you lay in the hammock and have the assistant repeat the process so you can feel the way the quilt changes with these adjustments. Rinse and repeat as needed until you get a good "feel" of how tweaking the quilt suspension and the end cords affect the fit on the hammock.

Hit up the hang for sure to have some further help with folks that have played with quilts and getting them dialed in. Once you have it set just right for you and your build on your hammock you should not need to adjust much in the field unless you change hammocks.

If your still running into road bumps PM me your # and we can talk about other tweaks.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    Your under-quilt(UQ) should be snug to the entire bottom of the hammock or else you get the problem that you describe. Tighten up your UQ! Remember to make it snug not tight (there is a difference) and don't leave any air gaps.

To me...it sounds like it is possibly to tight...as I described above. Snug is the correct term but tightening can actually...and in my experience with the KAQ's...usually be the opposite of what you want to do first. Totally counter intuitive to loosen the quilt when your cold but more often than not folks tighten and then tighten more and then more and just keep getting colder as the fit is being distorted.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funkho View Post
    I am trying to get my HHSS set up just right, and I am noticing that pads are a lot easier to "plug and play". You basically make sure the pad is under you. That is it. Seems like all other systems require fiddling.

I am sure that be fiddling pays off, but I will second the absolute ease of that pad under you.

Good luck with the test.
    Ditto on the ease of a pad under you- if you can stay on the pad and if it is comfy for you, it's probably going to be warm. Assuming it is thick enough for the temps.

But I don't really know what there is to fiddle with on the HHSS, at least if you are using it within it's intended temp ranges as opposed to trying to boost it by adding insulation. But I think as far as the basic HHSS goes, it might be one of those "it either works for you or it doesn't deals. If you have it attached per Hennessy directions, I can't think of much to adjust or fine tune. But good luck, hope you get it working for you. And if you can't, then a pad probably will work.

BTW, double check to make sure you do have it installed exactly as directed, Many a person has put those things on upside down or inside out. I've always felt the thing needed some more color coding to help keep things all lined up when 1st installing it. And don't forget the $3 space blanket.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-07-2013 at 22:40.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    Ok, I tested things last night, however it was not a very strong test. The temp was 45 and there was no wind at all, lots of drizzle. My bag seems to be designed like a zippered top quilt with about a 2 foot unzipped foot box so I used it like a top quilt for the last half the night. I get really uncomfortable in mummy type bags after several hours. I did notice that things underneath felt a tiny bit cool after turning the bag into a tq. Then I went back to sleep. One thing I did differently was to completely release the side tie outs. The sides of the tq were up to the bug net, about the same as before. I stuck my hand under the bq in the morning while I was in the hammock and as best I could tell everything was fine, no air space gap but it wasn't tight either. I slept in a medium heavy fleece coat which is normal. Now a 10 am I have a slight sensation of a cold butt and shoulders. Sometimes that happens with pads as well, so not any difference there. Like I said it wasn't a real stress test but I had the impression that the bq was operating at about the end of its comfort level at 45 and well inside the comfort level for pads. But I think a better test is necessary.
    Last edited by Yakfoot; 01-08-2013 at 11:45.
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    Ok, now we have a good test report. I just got back from the Lost Maples hang in the Sabinal Canyon. EastTex and Caveman gave my setup a good looking over Friday afternoon and EastTex found a sag hole that would open up when I got in. Spent two nights in the hammock, the first night I woke up sweating in the sixties but a front came in yesterday evening. This AM it was (according to park police) 29 degrees at the office. The weather record shows winds were 12-17 /gusts to 23 during the morning hours in nearby Vanderpool. With a sheet of reflectix under me to supplement the UQ, I was comfortable.
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Great to hear. I bet now that you've got it right it will be a lot easier from now on.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12