Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    Crazy J the 70+lb. German wirehair pointer used to sleep in the Crazy Creek Crib LEX with me under my knees curled up in a ball and he liked that. He used to stay put in that hammock. Perhaps because it was enclosed there were less distractions and not as much urge to jump out. One time when he jumped out, a claw caught the bug net and made a small tear.

I thought he'd like the big, open ENO Doublenest but he only lasts 2 hours at most before climbing down to his foam pad and fleece blanket on the ground. A leash is a good thing to bring. Don't want the dog to run off in the night chasing a deer and getting lost.

-----------------------------

I don't know how people thruhike the PCT with their dog. The Sierra Nevada has some potentially deadly stream fords in early season when creeks are raging with snowmelt. All that water can flush a dog downstream.

---------------------------------

Smee,

Your Springer doesn't squirm around and/or cause any insensible perspiration problems in the No Sniveller?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here's a pic of Nest's pooch hooch under his tarp.

“Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

SkyDog Tent

SkyDog is mostly Border Collie and about 55 pounds. If she is not allowed to go somewhere, then I don't go - she is always with me. Yes, she picks up a few ticks; but, I will pick up more. The mere presence of a dog usually keeps bears and other larger critters away. SkyDog has <in the past> slept under my hammock on Tyvek with a fleece or small quilt.

I always tie a long light cord to her collar and around my wrist to wake me if she decides something needs my attention while I am asleep.

NOW! I found the neatest tent for her that has plenty of room, ventilation, etc.

My apologies... I need to figure out how to post pics here.
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    that tent is slick as a smelt..... too bad it don't come in jumbo deluxe size....
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Here's a pic of Nest's pooch hooch under his tarp.

Yeah, it's just a 7 oz sil 5x8 tarp and hiking pole or stick. I figure my tarp will block any rain from above, so that's to stop any wind blown rain. I also carry a 25 foot training tether to tie him to the ridgeline. It's a hunter orange Remington brand nylon webbing that weighs a couple oz. His whole sleep setup adds about 12 oz to my pack weight.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Smee, your springer and mine should get together sometime.

Jacob, loves being outdoors and winter is great since I don't need to worry about the ticks when we come back.
    If I'm camping with anyone who is using a tent he'll end up there, but without the option, he either curls up under the tarp (I lay down my jacket for him usually), or occasionally will also get in and lay between my legs. The only thing that he hasn't got used to though is the swing that I get when I don't tie out the sides.

That's him watching the fire last month (12/30)

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    I like the Nest set up. Nice!

When I hike with my dog I take my 10 x 10 flat tarp and run one side all the way to the ground. I think it's an instinct thing with dogs that they need to have some kind of a wall or something to back up to so they can feel protected. And I put her on a long tether at night to keep her from wondering into cougar range.
    "If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun" -Ben Franklin

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    As you can tell form my avatar, I've got a "furry little heater" that I like to take backpacking. My Shiba Inu, Rusty is only about 22 lbs so we fit just fine in the hammock. Here are some pictures of a trip we took with some friends where I had Rusty AND and bassett hound in the hammock with me....that was fun!! Bassett hounds are AWESOME hammock dogs............but they absolutely are horrible at hiking. They just aren't built for it. I knew that before the trip. We just had to be careful with him.

I'm dreaming up a bridge style hammock that will be better suited for sleeping with a dog, but that may be a little while out, as I'm working full-time and going to school. We'll see.

I've also thought about making and enclosed tarp (like a WB Superfly, JRB Hammock Hut...) ,and I probably will get one either way, but being that my dog is quite small, he doesn't carry a whole lot. Him carrying much of a pad is unlikely.

I would suggest crate training your dog, if your going to use a little doggy tent. Seems like that would be a way easier transition, and I'm a fan of crate training anyway.

I seriously considered purchasing a Clark Vertex, because it would accommodate my wife and I plus the dog in the center area, but $539 is not anywhere near what I'm willing to pay for it, so I'll try my other ideas first.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    This thread comes at a perfect time for me. Someone recently "dumped" of a 6 month old puppy in our neighborhood, and well, it seems we've been officially adopted now.
    Of course I've already been adding the pup into my regular backpacking daydreams/plans. lol

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks!

Perkolady- AND Jack

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro &amp; GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I've been wanting to start taking my border collie/ black lab mix with me and have been wondering as well how to do it.
    Chris

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast