Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do You Like Pickles?

I do....... Zesty garlic.

Hello Everyone,

This is Spokes from North Carolina. I don't own a "real" hammock setup yet and figured it best to join this forum and learn more before investing. You guys have quite a reputation for steering people straight when it comes to the hanging lifestyle! Can't wait to learn from the best.

I'm a former AT thru-hiker (Class of '09 NOBO), cross country bicyclist, and most recently a long distance sea kayaker. A buddy and I completed a 1515 mile circumnavigation of the entire coast of Florida paddling kayaks from the Alabama border, around the Big Bend, down to Key West, then up the east coast finishing at the Florida-Georgia border. The trip took 4 months.

I'm slowly getting back into hiking and desperately want to transition from tent to hammock while keeping weights down. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Cheers,

Spokes

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the Hammock forums. Jump in the air is cool (in at least 3 seasons). Find a group hand and see if any of the setups tickle your pickle (couldn't resist).

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Welcome from Mills River, NC. Ask plenty of questions, try some hammock stuff. Experiment with different hammocks. You will eventually find the right balance of weight/comfort/ease of setup for your needs. And then you will experiment some more just because it's so darn fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Can't stand 'em. Or pretty much anything else with vinegar.

Welcome from Raleigh! Like TrailSlug said, a group hang is a great place to see different setups.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. 1.6oz. HyperD
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli Pro
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Welcome from Charlotte (near Mint Hill)
    If you are under control, you are not going fast enough - Mario Andretti

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Fried or dill, and like them no bigger around than a banana.

Welcome.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    yes, I do enjoy dill pickle slices on some sandwiches.

I was introduced to camping hammocks by ENO advertising and their mass availability at big box sporting goods stores. I bought the DoubleNest. I thought it was awesome. Until I tried to sleep the night in it. I came to these very forums trying to figure out what was wrong. Within minutes I had multiple people telling me...the ENO is too short...you need to try an 11 footer. 11 footer? I had never heard of such a thing. It didn't take long before I was familiar with the product inventory of Dutchware, Warbonnet Outdoors, and Dream Hammock. Now my eyes were opened to what camping hammocks were supposed to be. I took the plunge on a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC as my first non-ENO hammock. There was a decent learning curve and pains getting it set up properly. I had to learn about structural ridgeline tension, proper hang angles, pitching the head end lower than the feet, and finding the sweet spot in the diagonal lay. It was all well worth it of course and the XLC is a fine hammock but then I had to try a Dutch and then I had to try a wide Dutch. Then I found a sewing machine and of course I had to start making hammocks and have added 6 more diy hammocks to the stable. I wanted to be self-sufficient with my own whoopie slings and ridgelines so I learned to splice amsteel and lash-it. I'm sure I have a favorite hammock in there somewhere if I can only find the time to go camping with all of them!

good luck in your research and new hobby!

Hammock
    DIY HyperD Ripstop
    Tarp
    Silpoly 12' Hex
    Insulation
    LLG 30 Deg PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome from northern KY! I might see you on the trail sometime, Pisgah is quickly becoming my go-to backpacking destinations nowadays.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes....I like fried pickles from the Diamond Restaraunt))))))
    Shug
    Former Charlotte Resident
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

OMG......That was a flashback! They had the best vegetable plates and pickled beets in Charlotte back in the day.

Thanks Shug

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast