Bitten but treeless....

Hello all,

Been reading on the forum for a while. Name is Dan, trail name Shepherd. I got the name on a trip last year. I usually backpack with a single walking staff which has a crook on the top. It was humorous to many at the start of our hike. But no one was laughing when we used it to hook on our packs and pull them up to a rock ledge. After that the group gave the staff the name Jack and gave me the trail name Shepherd

Been reading and researching and really wanting to get started in hammocks. I received my first hammock just a few months ago. My wife and kids got me a Snipe hammock. Loved it! Only problem was i am 5 foot 11 and i found i couldnt get into a lay i was comfortable in. I could sleep etc, but it just was, well too tight. I tried changing my ridge line, i tried changing my suspension, i tried many things, but kept ending up with a semi flat lay and just not comfortable enough.

So... I did what any good 30 year computer engineering veteran would do... I researched and built my own. This weekend i built Shrek. Hes a green HexD 12 foot by 70 inch hammock. Gathered the end with a sleeve, amsteel line looped through to hook to the suspension. Learned im a pretty poor sewer and even worse at understanding sewing machines. But i stuck with it and really like how it turned out. Matter of fact i finished it around midnight, hung it up in the garage, layed in it and thought this is great, lots of room no calf pinching etc, and next thing i know i woke up and it was 3 am. So Shrek and i will get along well great! cant want to take him out on a trip. I attached a quick pick.

Thanks to all how contribute to this great site. I have really enjoyed the insights, and as they say, i dont think ill be going back to tents any time soon. Course in Southern California we have more desert than trees so will need to get creative there...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Looks great.

Check out the various stand threads.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Get you one of these Tato kit's and build a stand.
    20160611_103548 (1).jpg

• + New Posts