Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is there any danger in this?

Hey everybody. I just got this stand. It came with a hammock but my doublenest is more comfortable so I've been working on getting it to fit correctly. This is the closest I could get it to being right. I'm aware that this probably isn't a 30 degree angle. More importantly, I know that you all hate slap straps and the carabiners that come on an eno. But getting a different suspension system isn't an option at this point. So is there any danger in the carabiners being on the steel like this? Will I damage the stand?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rbr88758; 01-08-2013 at 14:33.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    I can't see the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    I can't see the pictures.
    Sorry about that. Should be fixed now.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Aside from scratches on the stand and the carabiner, I think it should be ok. I would avoid swinging though while in the hammock.

Have you tried just taking out the biner and attaching the the strap directly to the hammock suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by mangus7175 View Post
    Aside from scratches on the stand and the carabiner, I think it should be ok. I would avoid swinging though while in the hammock.

Have you tried just taking out the biner and attaching the the strap directly to the hammock suspension?
    That's a great idea but I don't know how I would go about doing it. Can you explain?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I think you'll be just fine.

If it was me, I'd lengthen the straps a hair so the biners don't contact the steel, and put an overhand knot in the rope on each end to make up for that increased length if necessary.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Try and get the carabiner s a little further out. You dont want them touching the stand at all!!!

Why?.. Well if they are touching the stand, when you get in the hammock the forces involved may try to bend the carabiner. They are not made for that kind of force and could potentially snap. Ive heard of/seen climbing rated 'biners that have snapped from similar setup angles at climbing centers.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand

I can see!

Yea! I can see the pictures now. Have to stand on my head, but I can see! : )

Although I am not familiar with what your strap is like, I agree that you could probably make a connection with the strap that eliminates the carabiner. If this works for you for now, and you don't mind scratching up the paint, go with it for a while and enjoy that hammock while reading up on how to tie some knots. I would assume and hope that by the time you are actually in the hammock, with this rigging, the carabiner would not be touching the metal of the stand due to stretching of the straps. For my sensibilities, I wouldn't like feeling the metal on metal shifts, and would prefer the softer strap against the metal.

Larks head knots or a Marlin Spike knot with a toggle are two ways that could work in this case.

Happy hanging! Turtlelady

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Too much Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Try and get the carabiner s a little further out. You dont want them touching the stand at all!!!

Why?.. Well if they are touching the stand, when you get in the hammock the forces involved may try to bend the carabiner. They are not made for that kind of force and could potentially snap. Ive heard of/seen climbing rated 'biners that have snapped from similar setup angles at climbing centers.
    +1 on what Vinny said!!! The biner is designed to hold the load on it’s long axis. Cross loading the side will only weaken it / reduce it load capacity!
    Benji
    When you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, remember - your half way to somewhere

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I have the same stand and it does bend a little when the hammock is weighted so you want to set up the hammock a little tighter than usual to compensate.

With regards to your set up, as others have said I would try and get the biners off the stand so the force is on the long axis of the biner or get rid of the biner and attach the straps to the rope directly. You could larkshead the end of the strap (the part that normally goes around the tree) to the rope and use one of the other sewn loops to secure it to the hammock stand hook.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast