Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies

Help a newbie

I'm about to start making a couple hammock setups, and need some help wading through all my options for insulation. I am not considering down at this point, that will be a future project once I have more thread injector skills.

The first hammock, mine, will be a single layer DIY GE, and I'd be happy to get down to 40*, but I'll be mostly using it in the summer, to start. Weight isn't a big issue, but of course packed size is. I've decided against using a pad, but if a DL with a pad would be the better choice, tell me how easy it is (cause in my mind is seems like a squirm-fest to stay on it!)

The second hammock, for my daughter (7) will also be some DIY flavor. Here, weight and size are bigger issues, and I'd sacrifice some degrees to keep her pack lighter (or maybe I mean my pack lighter?)

We are both warm sleepers, so I worry sometimes about making the quilts too warm for mild summer nights. As a rookie I don't know if there are comfortable ways to get a, say, 40* quilt to work well at 65*. What insulations (in what weights) should I be considering to make this happen?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    If you want synthetic, try http://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq If you want down try http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=quilt+shells (he sells the shell already sewn for you--just buy some down and sew up the end---you can buy down from wilderness logics---pretty easy to do your self and much cheaper than buying a ready made UQ) In my opinion, you could use a 20 degree quilt., and then vent it if its too warm for you (hang it a little looser) Then again, Im a very cold sleeper and would rather be warm than cold!
    Last edited by stevebo; 01-10-2013 at 13:18.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    If you want synthetic, try http://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq If you want down try http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=quilt+shells (he sells the shell already sewn for you--just buy some down and sew up the end---you can buy down from wilderness logics---pretty easy to do your self and much cheaper than buying a ready made UQ) In my opinion, you could use a 20 degree quilt., and then vent it if its too warm for you (hang it a little looser) Then again, Im a very cold sleeper and would rather be warm than cold!
    Very helpful plan right there, thanks stevebo!

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Check out this thread as well http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=51555 loads of diy projects for you to peruse!

Hope this helps.

Craig

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    A great list of projects!

I guess my biggest concern was making it too warm, but if you can vent it to be comfortable. Next is compressed size, my daughter's pack is small, but I'll probably end up carrying a good portion of her gear anyway. I'm leaning toward CS right now, but does anyone think IX is better bang for the volume/weight?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    IX is ok, but not compressible... it's too much of a vapor barrier to me and I ended up with a damp backside when I used it... it IS really light...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Insulation
    Self-inflating pad
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    IX is ok, but not compressible... it's too much of a vapor barrier to me and I ended up with a damp backside when I used it... it IS really light...
    I'd go with climashield over IX. From what I've read, it takes a bit of work to use and IX UQ properly and sometimes sleeping on your side breaks the seal and let's cold air in. Climashield appears to require less fiddling and after ordering 2 yards of it, it's pretty darn light. Not to mention you'll need multiple layers with IX and only one with Climashield.

• + New Posts