Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Apparently the anti shock mechanism CAN be locked out on these poles. Check out the 30second mark on this video.

http://www.rei.com/product/809073/mo...le#video-inner

Miguel
    Oh! WOW! Glad you did some research in finding this out. Awesome that they can be locked. Makes them even better. Thanks Miguel.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    I cut the rubber top knob down to about 1.25 inches tall, and approx 1 inch or matching the dia of the handle down and smoothed it with a file and sandpaper perfect. I don't see why you couldn't use a nylon cap nut at all.
    Pics Acer.....we need pics Ok, I need pics to visualize what you did, sounds like nice work.

Commit your ways to the LORD and He shall direct your path
    (Proverbs 3:5) ........which is good, because I like to walk down lots of paths.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by harleynemo View Post
    Pics Acer.....we need pics Ok, I need pics to visualize what you did, sounds like nice work.
    Here is some pics. first pic will show the size of the 1/4 x 20 knob that is abnormally to big for my likings vs, one already finished, and one pic with the finished knob done next to an original. I used a small fillet knife that is razor sharp and cut about 1/4 in off the top, then peel it like a apple, and if you still need more, just cut away as with a med. metal file I worked smoothiing it out and that takes about 45 minutes of smoothing to your liking. You will find, that in smoothing, you will be better off going with the grain of the rubber (or dense foam) than against the grain working around it and even across the top there is a grain to get it smooth. Going against the grain is a pita and keeps everything very smooth and looking nice, and after you are done, take your hand and smooth it even more with your fingers and palm as it will smooth out. total weight of each hiking pole made of 7075 aluminum moded is now 10 oz each for a nice med. weight.

One thing about using hiking poles for spreader bars of which I really LIKE! Brandon gives you the choice of either using the head spreader bar at either 39.5 inches wide or removing the 4" middle spreader bar and decreasing the head spreader bar to 35.5 inches wide. With hiking poles, you can set the width of which I really like, at 36.5 wide or what ever floats your boat the width you preferr. I used a knife on the spreader bar after measuring it to go around the hiking pole marking it with a circle (scoring) like we did to our muzzleloading ramrods in the old days to make sure we had our powder, patch & ball loaded to a premeasured amount in checking the ramrod with end of barrel of muzzleloaders. Your basically putting a circle of cut in the black paint of this hiking pole for a measurement that is the width every time. Keeps you from guessing how wide you want the head end of the hammock spread out and you don't have to carry a tape measure with you. Enjoy the pics.
    Acer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    That looks so good!! That huge knob on the top is ridiculous looking....why would they design it like that?? Very nice mod....I think I am pulling the trigger on these poles. Thanks.

Commit your ways to the LORD and He shall direct your path
    (Proverbs 3:5) ........which is good, because I like to walk down lots of paths.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    That looks so good!! That huge knob on the top is ridiculous looking....why would they design it like that?? Very nice mod....I think I am pulling the trigger on these poles. Thanks.
    Mine are due today. I'm not sure I really want to shave down the knob. I often put the palms of my hands on top of the pole on the downhills and that big old fat knob looks pretty comfy. We'll see.

Miguel

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Mine came and I am very satisfied with them. I do wish they had flick locks but frankly, for $30, I am thrilled with them. At first I thought they were a bit heavy but they weighed about 10.4 oz, almost identical to my Black Diamond Contour Carbons. Even my wife's Leki Thermolite XL Titaniums weigh about 9.8oz.

I also happen to like the big knob which will be very comfy on the downhills....maybe do double duty as a seat (or not). Whatever floats your boat. I'd say buy them....I doubt you will ever find a better deal.

I'll hang my Ridgerunner tomorrow and post some pics.

Miguel

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images

I'll hang my Ridgerunner tomorrow and post some pics.

Miguel

I have now used mine for a total of 9 nites sleeping in the RR using them,,,they work like a charm,,still waiting on WB to send me the pole ends Brandon has for the hiking poles, but really don't need to use them other than I just don't like the screw end sticking out so far.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    I have now used mine for a total of 9 nites sleeping in the RR using them,,,they work like a charm,,still waiting on WB to send me the pole ends Brandon has for the hiking poles, but really don't need to use them other than I just don't like the screw end sticking out so far.
    I'm glad to hear you're liking it. Regarding the end sticking out...why can't you just turn that nut/knob that adjusts for different thread depths on various cameras. Just screw it out a bit and the bolt won't stick out so much. Or am I just missing something?

I'd like to avoid the WB ends because I'd probably lose them eventually. Your nine nights is sounding pretty good to me. BTW...I haven't really looked into it but have you discovered a way to lock out the anti shock? I saw it in the video but I'm not really sure if it applies to all models. I'm not sure I have the confidence to pull it all apart and that may be the ticket.

Miguel

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I...but have you discovered a way to lock out the anti shock? I saw it in the video but I'm not really sure if it applies to all models. I'm not sure I have the confidence to pull it all apart and that may be the ticket...
    I don't know which models it applies to but no confidence is needed. The sections should just pull apart and slip right back together. This needs to be done to clean them from time to time anyway.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Acer pictures of bar use please. Also ow do the pole tips work. I get that one goes into the point of the pole but the opposite end? How does it attach to a pole. Is it pole specific?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast