WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Question about Ridgerunner Hiking pole spreader bar.

I found these poles and I'm wondering why they couldn't be used as spreader bars for the ridgerunner. They have the screw off top with the camera mount bolt.

The problem is, they are anti shock and I don't believe they can be locked out. Does anyone know why Brandon doesn't recommend anti shock poles to be used? Is it a strength issue or is it because of the play in the system. If it's the play, I really don't see why that would be an issue. Once it compresses it can't go any farther.

These are a killer deal. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...king_Pole.html

Miguel

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Was going to do some pics on these over the weekend. I have been using these same hiking poles I ordered last week,,every nite for hanging and sleeping. they work perfect. I ordered a set of pole ends from WB of which I still don't have, and the hiking pole fits perfect when you set it the right spread at each end. Locks good, and doesn't fall out period. Fits great. Still waiting on WB pole ends however and wanted to test them out, but really don't even need them if you don't mind the screw end sticking out of which when covered with cuben tarp will cover the pole ends with my foam pieces to not poke or rub the cuben material and put holes in it. Each pole wieghs about 11 oz. not 14 as advertised and they are made of 7075 easton aluminum so very strong also. AS far as the shock absorber, its never affected the hang. Shock absorber uses a spring which is very very heavy, and only causes the pole to decrease in size as you put your weight on it, approximately 1/2 inch. It has no effect on the hanging as I have slept in my RR with these poles now for 4 nites and poles are working perfect shock absorber or not. Shock absorber doens't depress when your in the hammock as the center of weight is bearing down on the tips of the poles and so it can't depress if you understand what I am trying to say. Go for it I am saying,,its a decient made hiking pole.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Yikes! The only downside I see is the weight. Looks like a single pole weighs as much as my set. At that weight, I could bring a lightweight pole set and the RR set and have both (RR set for the hammock and poles for propping up the tarp, etc.).
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    If you notice the weight of each hiking pole for 7075 aluminum is 11 oz each,,check the weights of most aluminum hiking poles which are more. My black diamonds are 15.3 oz each, the Wife's hiking set is 13,2 each and they are Leki's aluminum. Still your decreasing hammock weight by 9.5 oz getting rid of the spreader bars. Good enough for me as I am not a gram weinie, but still consider my pack weight. And when I am hiking with the poles in my hands, the weight is not that noticable for me. But! That is just me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Was going to do some pics on these over the weekend. I have been using these same hiking poles I ordered last week,,every nite for hanging and sleeping. they work perfect. I ordered a set of pole ends from WB of which I still don't have, and the hiking pole fits perfect when you set it the right spread at each end. Locks good, and doesn't fall out period. Fits great. Still waiting on WB pole ends however and wanted to test them out, but really don't even need them if you don't mind the screw end sticking out of which when covered with cuben tarp will cover the pole ends with my foam pieces to not poke or rub the cuben material and put holes in it. Each pole wieghs about 11 oz. not 14 as advertised and they are made of 7075 easton aluminum so very strong also. AS far as the shock absorber, its never affected the hang. Shock absorber uses a spring which is very very heavy, and only causes the pole to decrease in size as you put your weight on it, approximately 1/2 inch. It has no effect on the hanging as I have slept in my RR with these poles now for 4 nites and poles are working perfect shock absorber or not. Shock absorber doens't depress when your in the hammock as the center of weight is bearing down on the tips of the poles and so it can't depress if you understand what I am trying to say. Go for it I am saying,,its a decient made hiking pole.
    Thank you VERY much!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I don't care for twist locks, but this pole is so well built,,other than the big knob on the top of the 1/4 x 20 screw. I took the big knob of rubber and sharp knife, cut at least a 1/3 inch off the top, then went around the sides taking enough off,,almost a quarter of a inch, then a file and about 45 minutes of smoothing it down to the same diameter of the handle and looks alot better. Even the wife commented it looked very much better and not as noticable on the handle and blended in alot better. But the hiking pole made of 7075 aluminum is strong with no bend what so ever in the head spreader bar so good to go with these hiking poles replacing WB's spreader bars saving packing weight. Until I run across something else alittle better these will work perfect.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Just ordered a set...thank you very much for your input...$38.00 for two shipped! Whoo Hoo!

I agree with you, I'm not too thrilled with twist locks but I couldn't find anything like these poles with flick locks. Coincidentally, I spoke to a dealer just the other day about this issue. He said that most problems with twist locks stem from the fact that people tend to over tighten them. I plan on keeping that in mind. I may even play with them at different degrees of tightness. I also plan on becoming very familiar with the inner workings in case I ever do have a problem.

Again...thanks for your time and advice.

Miguel

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    ...other than the big knob on the top of the 1/4 x 20 screw. I took the big knob of rubber and sharp knife,...
    Any reason you can't toss the big knob and replace it with a 1/4 x 20 nylon cap nut?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Apparently the anti shock mechanism CAN be locked out on these poles. Check out the 30second mark on this video.

http://www.rei.com/product/809073/mo...le#video-inner

Miguel

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Any reason you can't toss the big knob and replace it with a 1/4 x 20 nylon cap nut?
    I cut the rubber top knob down to about 1.25 inches tall, and approx 1 inch or matching the dia of the handle down and smoothed it with a file and sandpaper perfect. I don't see why you couldn't use a nylon cap nut at all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast