Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    easy come, easy go....
    I did find a good deal on a pack for my dog ($16) and a pair of Sierra Designs Drizone Down Booties ($20)
    Everyone enjoy their weekends
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Mike, everything ending in .83 WAS discounted %50 - they simply changed the prices directly on the online store. If you looked at an item two days ago and it was 29.83, today it will be listed as 15.83.

However, they have had problems with their computer system, due to the massive popularity of this sale. At the Atlanta store today, there were well over a hundred people waiting in line before the store opened.

You know, I'm kind of frustrated by the way people are acting like REI is all shady and deceptive with this sale - they are offering loads of gear at amazing discounts, and it seems like all some people can do is complain.

I got in line early, got into the store, and got a bunch of gear for cheap. Who can complain about that???
    I'm not saying anything like that. I'm just saying that I was disappointed that when I went to bed last night, there were two dif Downmats showing as available and with a xx.83 price, and by the time I logged on early this AM, no down mats at all. Guess I should have been a little earlier.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hang em high View Post
    They had already marked alot of prices online 1/2 off last night. The down pads were all gone by 9o p.m. I found some things I wanted, then found some more at REI outlet.

Thanks for the heads up on this Mustardman
    9PM? I thought the sale started today?

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    9PM? I thought the sale started today?
    That's what people are actually upset about. They started a day early & many of us (like me ) missed out on the sale!
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post
    That's what people are actually upset about. They started a day early & many of us (like me ) missed out on the sale!
    I talked to a friend who works there, and she explained that their computer system sucks. It has no way to automatically discount any item with a certain number on the end. Thus, they have to manually set the prices of the items to be able to discount them all by 50%.

The online store and the retail stores use the same database, so to get things ready in time for the 10 am opening of the retail stores, they start setting the prices the day beforehand. That means the online store starts showing the discounted prices in advanced. You could watch this happening yesterday, as at first only a few items showed the discounted prices, but eventually all of them did.

Is it slightly annoying to miss out on a good deal? Of course. Does that make REI the devil? Absolutely not.

This is the only time I've ever heard people crying "false advertising" because something was on sale earlier than it was "supposed to be". (not directed at at one person specifically).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images

Still Some Left @ Atlanta Store

Just talked to a friend who was in the Atlanta store around 3:30. They must have put out a bunch of the downmats sometime in the middle of the day, because she said they had at least ten, in several styles, sitting in one of the bins.

If you wanted a downmat, you could try calling the Atlanta REI at (404) 633-6508 and seeing if you can purchase over the phone and have them ship it to you or your local REI.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    I got a 0deg sleeping bag fro $24 and a Down Vest for $20. Rest of the stuff was picked clean. I wish they had a 2nd bag so I can keep both kids warm, guess I'll flip a coin to see what one becomes the son-cicle.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Called the Perimeter Store in Atlanta at 1000 today. Their phone system did not operate until 1100, even though the openned at 1000. Go figure!!!
    Found that they still had the Exped DownMat 7 so I broke down and spent the money for one. Can use with my Scout camping.

Try calling a store, they may still have them on the discount tables
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Undercover
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    Called the Perimeter Store in Atlanta at 1000 today.
    I was there at that time, too. They had the downmats still in he rack with all of the other mats.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    ... You know, I'm kind of frustrated by the way people are acting like REI is all shady and deceptive with this sale - they are offering loads of gear at amazing discounts, and it seems like all some people can do is complain.
    .................................................. .............................

Is it slightly annoying to miss out on a good deal? Of course. Does that make REI the devil? Absolutely not.

This is the only time I've ever heard people crying "false advertising" because something was on sale earlier than it was "supposed to be". (not directed at at one person specifically).
    Mustardman,I may be reading you wrong, and no offense, but you seem a little defensive about REI. Who said REI is the absolute devil, and who was crying about false advertising, who said they are all shady and deceptive? Who are the people who are in this category: " all some people can do is complain."?

However, now that you bring it up, I will now say that it might possibly be false advertising, or if not then at the least a little less than organized. A sale was supposed to start at 10AM ( time zone?) on 1/9. Instead it sort of secretly started a day or so before. The result is that a few folks were eyeballing gear they wanted and waiting to have a chance at it when the sale started the next day. Only to find out things are sold out before they can even log on the next morning.

Now, I don't find that missed opportunity to be a huge deal. It does not make REI the devil or shady. It is a bit irritating that they got my ( and others) interest up for something I never really had a chance at in the first place, and I think people are justified in expressing their disappointment. But I have been an REI member since 1983, and will no doubt continue to shop there as I have all of these years. But unless I am able to get to their store- which is rare that I can- or unless I can buy the sale item while I am presently looking at it online, I probably won't waste my time again trying to participate in an online REI sale that is supposed to start in a day or two.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-09-2009 at 22:06.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast