Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    0* Mamba & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Goldberg

SoCal NYE Trip: Goosebumps

This thread is dedicated to that warm fuzzy feeling; a quick story:

Two weeks ago I tested my new 20* Burrow top quilt and laid on a thin ccf pad and an Italian wool blanket doubled over as back insulation in 15-20* weather and I woke up shivering hard after only 1.5 hours of sleep; I couldn't believe how short I was able to sleep. So I got up, drained the lizard, made two cups of tea using the coals in the fire, then made another pot of boiling water for the nalgene bottle and went to bed with it...

The nalgene bottle warmed my legs/feet rather quickly and I passed out shortly after. I woke up a few hours later for a moment and was a little cold and groggy, I located the nalgene bottle that slid down under my knees and put it back into my crotch and crossed my legs on it and all I can remember is instantly feeling warm throughout my whole body, getting goosebumps, smiling and passing out instantly. It was so clutch.

In hindsight, this was the one time I left my portable stove at home and really wish I had it instead of re-stoking the fire at 2AM. I could have been back in bed in 15 minutes instead of 40 minutes. Despite this, I did think ahead for this trip knowing I was rolling in a little under geared and got the nalgene bottle as a backup for this exact purpose the day before the trip.

Since this trip 2 weeks ago, I've received a 0* Yeti underquilt which I think will pair nicely with the 20* Burrow tq that I will be testing out tomorrow night backpacking in a few inches of snow with temps in the teens. I'm also going to try just sleeping in my long johns, fresh socks and light merino wool pullover instead of my snow pants and jacket that I think may have blocked some of the heat... I don't know, I heard you shouldn't sleep in your snow gear but I did anyway for lack of an underquilt and I was cold.

This picture is from a few hours before I went to bed, it was New Years Eve:

Any SD/OC/LA/Riverside/Ventura people, lets get together and get some cold-weather trips going
    Last edited by ripcurlksm; 01-11-2013 at 11:19.

• + New Posts