Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

Dave Canterbury youtube hammock video

I am a big fan of youtube, you can learn to do anything on there and I learn things easier by watching. Dave Canterbury of Dual Survival fame is my second favorite after Shug. Dave's latest vidoe is about hammocks and the padding looks like a good idea, but his use of rope and tiny little open hooks gives me pause. I've used rope when I need my straps for other things but was under to impression it was bad for the tree. That tiny little hook just looks silly.

I use a crappy app on my phone to come here, so I dont know how or if I can put a link to the video. Please one of you PC cowboys help me out and put the link in your reply.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    I just watched that video and I'll stick with my down . Not a bad idea (hardly new) if funds are tight...

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I'm a longtime subscriber to Dave's channels going way back to before he was on TV. His focus has always been low cost "common man" self reliance and survival skills.
    I was eager to watch that video last night when it appeared in my inbox.

I had the same concerns about the rope and the s hook that you did but I was not too worried about it. Dave never presents things as the only way to do it and he often mentions how viewers respond and provide him with more information in the viewer comments section. Once I got past the point that my hero was not using amsteel whoopies and tree straps (grin), I found myself admiring the simplicity of the slip knot/stopper knot idea. I am especially interested in how it could potentially replace or be used instead of a marlin spike hitch.
    I am going to experiment with the idea using my tree straps and a carabiner or a descender ring to provide the interface link between the slip knot and my amsteel.

I watched the video shortly after it was posted and users had already commented on possible condensation issues from using reflectix and a pad as insulation under a sleeping bag. Dave's reply was that it had not caused him problems when he used it.

All in all, not a bad quick tip from The Man! lol

Here is the video

"Live your life so that your children can tell their children that you not only stood for something wonderful- you acted on it"
    -Dan Zadra

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Resqsarge03 View Post
    ...I found myself admiring the simplicity of the slip knot/stopper knot idea. I am especially interested in how it could potentially replace or be used instead of a marlin spike hitch.
    I love knots but would not use them on amsteel. In use I think making a marlin spike hitch and putting the loop of a whoopie sling over it is as simple if not more simple than his technique. YMMV.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Watched Dave before 'the fame', gave up on him .... just not my 'cup a tea'. HYOH ...

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    DD and DIY
    Tarp
    DD
    Insulation
    3/4 hammock gearUQ
    Suspension
    tree hugger straps
    i have used this system but i put the reflectix down first with the foam pad over it. It didn't cause any condensation problems and worked very well down to about 40 degrees. good inexpensive idea though!!!

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet / BMBH / WBBB 1.1SL
    Tarp
    Sargasso/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    HudsonRvr/Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by auggiedog View Post
    i have used this system but i put the reflectix down first with the foam pad over it. It didn't cause any condensation problems and worked very well down to about 40 degrees. good inexpensive idea though!!!
    I think this might be better as well. I've tried what is basically single sided reflectix between the hammock layers, with considerable condensation. My part of the world can get quite humid.

I like his rope use. When I take a couple of friends on steep country etc. I will carry 60-100ft of rope just for those special moments. So I can see the logic of making use of it. In my mind, it wouldnt hurt for him to carry 2x 2ft x 2in strap for the back of the tree...1 or 2 oz?

Maybe if we call it the Whoopie Whopper....or Supersize me Whoopie-style, then it will catch on....maybe......

Hammock
    hammock bliss no see um
    Tarp
    9 x 7
    Insulation
    ther-ma-rest
    Suspension
    tree huggers

please leave some trees for the grandkids

Quote Originally Posted by Resqsarge03 View Post
    I'm a longtime subscriber to Dave's channels going way back to before he was on TV. His focus has always been low cost "common man" self reliance and survival skills.
    I was eager to watch that video last night when it appeared in my inbox.

I had the same concerns about the rope and the s hook that you did but I was not too worried about it. Dave never presents things as the only way to do it and he often mentions how viewers respond and provide him with more information in the viewer comments section. Once I got past the point that my hero was not using amsteel whoopies and tree straps (grin), I found myself admiring the simplicity of the slip knot/stopper knot idea. I am especially interested in how it could potentially replace or be used instead of a marlin spike hitch.
    I am going to experiment with the idea using my tree straps and a carabiner or a descender ring to provide the interface link between the slip knot and my amsteel.

I watched the video shortly after it was posted and users had already commented on possible condensation issues from using reflectix and a pad as insulation under a sleeping bag. Dave's reply was that it had not caused him problems when he used it.

All in all, not a bad quick tip from The Man! lol

Here is the video

Hammock
    hammock bliss no see um
    Tarp
    9 x 7
    Insulation
    ther-ma-rest
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    those ropes are eating bark!

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I will try it out this weekend but I am going to use biners. I'm sure it works great but those tiny little hooks are not for me.
    Carpe noctem!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast