Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

UL Dreams

I think I've got my comfy hammock set-up for short hikes like when we base somewhere for a weekend of trail maintenance: my Warbonnet RidgeRunner and Cloudburst tarp.

But sometimes I like to hike light and fast. For this I am thinking an 11' Dream Hammock Darien UL at 14.5 oz and a ZPacks cuben fiber tarp at 6.5 oz seems a great set-up. Use this with a 2/3 length UQ during the summer or a full length UQ during colder weather and I should be able to keep things light while staying comfortable.

Any thoughts? Anything I'm missing?
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Sounds pretty good. The only comment I have is that during the winter, the net would be a bit of extra weight.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    I would go with a BIAS WWM (6oz) and a DH Tulle bugnet (2oz) this would bring you in at around 8ounces..

Then have your UQ be 3/4 not 2/3 and made out of M50 (I recommend UGQ) this should come in at 8 ounces for a 40F UQ.

This would be your 3 season kit.

For winter forget about the weight and go warm with 0F TQ and UQ, and a full winter tarp....end of discussion

YMMV
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    I second the Bias great weight great hammock!
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    adjwebbing/whoopie
    that sounds like a great idea

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs View Post
    I would go with a BIAS WWM (6oz) and a DH Tulle bugnet (2oz) this would bring you in at around 8ounces..

Then have your UQ be 3/4 not 2/3 and made out of M50 (I recommend UGQ) this should come in at 8 ounces for a 40F UQ.

This would be your 3 season kit.

For winter forget about the weight and go warm with 0F TQ and UQ, and a full winter tarp....end of discussion

YMMV
    +1 on this if you want a separate bug net/hammock (some prefer it, others don't). It'll be a bit more than 8 oz after adding suspension, which the Darien UL setup already counts - but, probably still one of the lightest setups available. The other consideration is that the Tulle bug netting can't keep out the real tiny critters as well as traditional bug nets can.

If you want the integrated bugnet, the Darien UL is definitely the way to go.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    True, but if your went SGT Rock U.L. UCR system your looking at 10 ounces and not 14.5

Also I am willing to bet if a person went with a asym cuben tarp they could get it in the 4-4.5oz range instead of 6.5, which saves even more.

That's a potential weight savings of 7oz, which is one ounce away from being a half pound.

Grams add to ounces, ounces add to pounds.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    Darien ul
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    Sniv/HG incubato 0
    Suspension
    dutch woopie hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs View Post
    True, but if your went SGT Rock U.L. UCR system your looking at 10 ounces and not 14.5

Also I am willing to bet if a person went with a asym cuben tarp they could get it in the 4-4.5oz range instead of 6.5, which saves even more.

That's a potential weight savings of 7oz, which is one ounce away from being a half pound.

Grams add to ounces, ounces add to pounds.
    My asym with ridge line and stuff sack 4.9 oz

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    My two cents; get the integrated bug net depending on where you live. I live in Missouri; even in the winter, on a warm day there can be spiders and flies out. I don't like bugs. The Darien UL is about the ultimate right now. In the winder you're still only carrying an extra few ounces in a bug net that's integrated but for 3/4's of the year you need it if you live where I do and a seperate bug net is a pain in my opinion. You do need to consider the "total system" weight which is where the Darien UL shines since it includes all of that.

I definitely think you're heading down the right road though; I've started down that path myself. I change out my pack, my hammock and will (sometime this spring) change out my top quilt. Look at Zpacks sleeping bag rated for 40 degrees, it's 11.8 oz! My last switch will be a new underquilt, probably a TeWa because of it's weight.

It's not cheap but the old gear sets up my sons who can still hoof all that weight around the woods. It's part of a grande strategy to weight them down so i can keep up

I see alot of recommendations for lighter hammocks with seperate bug nets and if you really are going to get anal about grams that's the way to go but I think the integrated bug net in the Darien UL is about the most practical ultralight option out there. I was out just two weeks ago and there were bugs every where. I do like the freedom of no net in the dead of winter but frankly it's rarely the ideal situation for me. Your mileage may vary.

Just a different take...

PS, I would consider HG's cuben fiber tarp with doors; it's only about 2 ounces more but then you have a 4 season tarp. Considering the cost of those tarps I'd want one tarp I can use all year long and in really wet rainy weather. I have the HG with doors and like the coverage. With a continuous ridgeline, Dutchware, tie outs, snake skins, and lines for side pull outs I'm right at 11 oz for the whole set up but that's also for a 12 ft long tarp. I ordered the extra foot so I have adequate coverage if I ever use an 11 ft hammock again. I had one and it would stick out past the end of my previous tarp unless I hung it funny. So, by getting the extra foot I'm covered at a nominal weight penalty. When it's all said and done I'm targeting a base pack weight of under 7lbs.

Gideon

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    While the Darien UL is indeed the lightest integrated net hammock available right now, it doesn't work for everybody. HYOH
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 01-02-2013 at 07:58.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast