Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammock length.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY

Hammock length.

Does anyone know of an established method to determine the length your hammock should be or is it all personal preference? I have a 9.5 foot hammock (DIY) and I still feel like I have some hyper-extension knee issues. I am 59 and don't need my knees irritated anymore. And is longer really better?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My personal opinion is that the longer the hammock the flatter the lay. I'm 6 ft and a 12 ft hammock gives me the best lay with no hyperextended knees.

Got a shorter 9.5' hammock to start with, liked it but wanted something more comfortable.
    (Am also 6' without shoes and 275 lbs.)
    Next was 11' DIY with 66" width or so and it is sweet.
    Next is another DIY hammock that is 11.5' with 57" width that feels just as good, if not slightly better.
    With a good diagonal lay, the 11' length seems like a good minimum length for flat resting on my back or side and should not bother you knees.
    Of course, the diagonal lay, good 30 deg. hang angle on the suspension, ridge line, good hammock material, hammock body cut, and many other things effect you hanging comfort...
    Hope you enjoy hanging.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I started out with the HH Exped Asym Zip; too short. Then I got a Byer Moskito Hammock - too short. Since then I've been using 11 ft. hammocks. I think the length makes a big difference, but I need a minimum of 58" width (I have a 55" wide hammock that just doesn't cut it for me).

I do have a few 60 x 126 tablecloth hammocks with triple-stitched channel ends that come out around 10.2 ft. long or so - I also find them to be comfy.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 03-20-2016 at 21:03.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I always found this thread (and video) to be a great explanation of how/why hammock length matters:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ghlight=length

Here's the video from that thread, for quick reference:

Hammock
    11.5' RBTR 1.0 HyperD Brown
    Tarp
    11' RBTR SilplyHex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/MultiBckle
    At 6'1", I started at 10.5 and worked my way up to 12'. I have since settled on a hair over 11' due to factors other than hammock comfort. Mainly, the ridgline was so high that I hung well below my tarp exposed to wind. The length also made fitting under the tarp tough. My tarp is an 11'+ by ~9.75' hex, I did not care to go bigger.

Hammock
    Dream-Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben W/ Doors
    Insulation
    EE UQ+LocoLibre TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie+DutchBling
    Like most women will tell you, length matters. The difference between a 9 footer and 10 footer for me is huge. 10 foot is just right, almost too big. I'm 5'6".
    Hang the good hang.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    In that video above (actually the still preview), do people actually sleep at that kind of angle? I can't imagine sleeping like that.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Longer is definitely better for my wife and I. Just this weekend we experimented with diff lengths using 3 diff fabrics. Our goal was to find the minimal length acceptable to us for backpacking. At 5'3" and 5'4" you'd think we could get away with short hammocks. Not so. We both have various physical ailments that perhaps move us outside of the realm of "normal". We have Hexon 1.0, 1.6, 2.4, Dobby 1.9 and PolyD 1.4. Also a GT Ultralight about 8'6", no thanks!

While we felt that we could probably sleep in 10', neither of us would wake up feeling very well. We did sleep one night in 10.5'. While better, still not our preference, primarily due to shoulder squeeze and hyperextension (for me) and back/hip issues (my wife). At 11' things begin to smooth out and we feel that this is the minimum for us. 11.5 and beyond is bliss at home but may be less practical on the trail.

We have found that fabric firmness has a lot to do with comfort, perhaps especially for those with ailments. Discomfort with shoulder squeeze, lumbar support, knee and hip issues etc may all be alleviated to some degree with a combination of hammock length and fabric firmness. Generally, the longer the better and the firmer the better for us. For backpacking, some compromise in length and weight must be made. We would both go with 11', but I would select 1.6 and she 2.4. For backyard, in the house or car camping we would both select 2.4 at 11.5-12' without any hesitation.

I have some W1.6 to try. I'm curious to see if it will be acceptable for us at about 10'. Maybe next Sunday I'll get a chance to build this one, but we'd rather be out hiking if the weather is nice.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Awesome stuff guys. Thanks for the info. Since I like to DIY I started with a 10 ft. and it is not bad but since I am 6'2", I made a 12' hammock but still haven't hung it. Looks like I am on the right track. I did watch that video and it helped. Thanks again.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast