Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    On the forest burns. We are working with Coopers Lake SP for setting Orienteering courses and I was most surprised by a response from the rangers about burns. We orienteers were at Tyler SP once, and they had burned THAT WEEK. What our advanced map showed as "dark green" (tough going, overgrown, slow/fight to get into) was BURNED and wide open!
    So the ranger at Coopers lake, we are working up about perminant markers and when asked about notification of a burn, the ranger said "we are lucky if we hear of it the WEEK they are going to do it". That was surprising. Anyway, the ranger might.....or might NOT know they are burning on Tuesday.....right before the hang.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    I need to hear how the kilt works out.....for real.....
    I'll let you know as soon as I get to give a real test. My wife has made it very clear that I'm not to be seen in it anywhere near her....or anywhere she might be

It's been a bit cool to go with the kilt, but as soon as it warms up I plan on giving it a go. I'll let you know how it works out.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Well,

While its still two weeks out and anything could happen, but this is Springtime in Southeast Texas so I'm resigned to this forecast:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ros...weather/340997

being at least partially true. We've also had pretty persistent fog in the AM lately.

I'm ditching the Desert Rat tarp and the cheapo WalMart poncho and going with the HH with doors and the Exped Bivy Poncho (no, its not to add weight).

Last time I used that tarp in the fog was at Brazos Bend a couple weeks ago.

I had the tarp down and the doors closed and the UQ did not appear to get wet, but there was a lot of moisture on the TQ where I'd been breathing on it. Something to think about.
    Last edited by sargevining; 02-09-2013 at 15:59.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    My wife has made it very clear that I'm not to be seen in it anywhere near her....or anywhere she might be
    Interesting.....mostly I hear wives and girlfriends think their man in a kilt is HOT
    Call me Junior

"For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Interesting.....mostly I hear wives and girlfriends think their man in a kilt is HOT
    Go back and look at that picture again----------

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Go back and look at that picture again----------
    MY EYES MY EYES!!!
    Call me Junior

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

The Burning Question

OK;

After my flirtation with advocacy of Civil Disobedience in the Wilderness, I had a talk with Jason Klawinsky, HBIC of Burns in the SHNF.

Basically, they decide when and where to burn the day before the burn. The decision is entirely based on weather. He could tell us that they will not be burning today, tomorrow, and the next day, but could not commit any further in advance than that.

I asked him if he were informed him that there would be a dozen or so campers in that area would that cause him to decide to burn somewhere else, and he said no. Please remember, however, that Section 1 is not the only area where burns are scheduled.

SOP calls for them to go out to the burn area once the decison has been made, close the parking lots, and then walk the trails to inform anyone camping on them that they need to leave, and then once again the next day to insure there's nobody out there.

So, what we're going to be doing is playing our cards and taking our chances.

He did give me his cell phone number and I will call him on Thursday to check the status. It was the best he could do and it was a very gracious gesture.

I asked him what weather I should be praying for---what kind of weather would keep them from burning. He said "rain".

So maybe we need a Plan B, just in case. All of the Eastern end of the trail is open and no prescribed burns are scheduled.

What say you?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Well...I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm not driving 5 hours for a maybe!

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you hear anything thursday.

Man! I've been looking forward to this trip for a couple of months now....You better not try and weinie out now!
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Well...I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm not driving 5 hours for a maybe!

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you hear anything thursday.

Man! I've been looking forward to this trip for a couple of months now....You better not try and weinie out now!
    Understand, that's why we set up things for a Thursday call.

Putting out a bleg for you guys to give me a gentle reminder on Wed PM and/or Thurs AM to make sure I remember to make that call.

Here's an overview map of the entire trail:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/LSHTparking.pdf

Here's the prescribed burn map:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/misc/LSHTburn2013.pdf

Here's the map of current trail closures:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/closure/LSHT-closures.pdf

If you put all that info together in order to get a Plam B, it looks like the sections at Parking Lot #8 and #9 thru 13 are those that are both open and not scheduled to be burned at any time this year.

The big advantage of Section 1 is the extensive loop system that gives all sorts of trail options and distance opportunities. Its possible to do a 25 mile hike out there and never be more than 6 miles from where you parked.

The only section that has a loop is the Four Notch Section:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/hires/...tch_shaded.pdf

Thre's only one parking lot, but some nice water features, including one called "Hidden Lake" that is on an old jeep track in the center of the loop.

I'd recommend against the far eastern end of the trail as there have been reports of vandalism (tire slashing) at the parking lot there.

just a few more days until we get to , "Fire walk"

I will be there no matter what!
    "I am a full grown man and I aint afraid of no fire so I will do what I want"

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast