Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I ordered some foam from these folks. http://www.usafoam.com/closedcellfoa...lene-foam.html

That way I can cut it to my liking.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutsnoa View Post
    So I have a 3/4 PHX UQ and I need something for insulation from my back of my legs to a little pass my feet. Will a 1/8 pad not do the trick?
    A footpad is a whole different world than primary insulation. Most can get by with a minimal pad under their legs. Shoulders and butts tends to be where most insulation is needed.

IMO you really need a double layer hammock to use pads effectively and I am even considering a sewn pocket even in my double layer to I can make sure and place it correctly without the fiddle factor.

Also a single GG 1/8 pad is too small to use alone.
    You really need 2 in a cross pattern, the cross upper for the shoulders.
    Still if you are a flip flopper you will move off of it eventually and find a cold spot.
    Thats the part I hate about pads. At least with an UQ and a pad extender you dont find those extreme cold spots when moving around.

I double my GG 1/8 pad and use it under my feet.
    Weighs 2.5-3oz per so 6 oz for two.

Probably good to 50-55dF if you are a warm sleeper and can stay on it but its short so your still need something for your feet and lower legs.

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    IMO you really need a double layer hammock to use pads effectively and I am even considering a sewn pocket even in my double layer to I can make sure and place it correctly without the fiddle factor.

Also a single GG 1/8 pad is too small to use alone.
    You really need 2 in a cross pattern, the cross upper for the shoulders.
    Still if you are a flip flopper you will move off of it eventually and find a cold spot.
    Thats the part I hate about pads. At least with an UQ and a pad extender you dont find those extreme cold spots when moving around.

I double my GG 1/8 pad and use it under my feet.
    Weighs 2.5-3oz per so 6 oz for two.

Probably good to 50-55dF if you are a warm sleeper and can stay on it but its short so your still need something for your feet and lower legs.
    I use a WBBB double layer, but I was thinking of putting the pad in the TQ so it will minimize shifting. Have not tried this method yet. Good thinking on making a slot just for the pad.....
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

Slot for the pad is because I can never get the darn things in right, like everybody else I suppose. Only thing is it s a one shot deal so I will need to make sure its in the right place.

I started off with a single layer hammock, and a speer type pad holder, drove me nuts but I hung in there. I actually slept in a winter tarp with a similar double pad setup with a garlington taco down to 14dF but there were cold spots.

After that adventure I decide to go double layer and that is all I have used since.
    Double layer is the way to go with pads, reflectix etc.

Recently made a small IX UQ and although it works just okay, too much fiddle factor for me.

My plan now is a full width, 6' long M50 5XP UQ that fastens to the sides somehow probably with clips or some other method similar to Sgt Rocks setup. That combined with a decently wide pad in a pocket should do it.

Also will build a double M50 5x12 sooner or later.

The M50 dbl layer hammock will weigh 9.5 oz with no suspension and the M50 5x6 5XP UQ about 23 oz.
    When attached it will get stuffed together.

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post

Double layer is the way to go with pads, reflectix etc.
    I started with a GT UL even for 2 winter seasons. I made it through and now have the 3/4 UQ. First season we'll see how it goes.....

My plan now is a full width, 6' long M50 5XP UQ that fastens to the sides somehow probably with clips or some other method similar to Sgt Rocks setup. That combined with a decently wide pad in a pocket should do it.[/QUOTE]

A full length UQ will be my next purchase for next season. I believe it's the best way.
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

I am going to try a bridge hammock with a pad of some sort first before going to the M50 gathered end setup above. I already have a 1.1 double so a double M50 will save me about 5 oz and cost $104 plus shipping for just the M50 fabric for the hammock body.

Bridge hammocks are supposed to work excellent with pads. Just ordered 4 yards of 1.9 ripstop from quest and have everything else for it.

Ordered a full length 3/8 foam pad from the foam factory to try out first and will try a neoair large later.

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The GG 1/8" pad is very narrow at only 19 3/8". Why not get a pad from Lawson Outdoor Equipment? Wider, longer, lower price, free shipping, what's not to like?
    I took your advise and bought the 1/8 pad from Lawson on Monday. But I wanted to know what was the ETA. So I emailed them. Well it's Thursday and no response. I wanted this pad before this weekend but now I'm worried it won't get here in time or at all......Have you ordered from them?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    My orders from Lawson have been quick to ship , BUT they have been small items. Something as large as a pad probably doesn't go 1st class and maybe takes longer. But, I'm just speculating.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    My orders from Lawson have been quick to ship , BUT they have been small items. Something as large as a pad probably doesn't go 1st class and maybe takes longer. But, I'm just speculating.
    Did u get a confirmation on your orders? I got a recite but no he's your tracking order #.....plus I sent 2 emails and nothing from them???

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast