So I'm going to be making a tarp purchase on Monday, but I'm still on the fence. I know I want a sil nylon tarp, as it's for backpacking and weight is a major concern, and I know I want something large enough to allow me to ride out a rainstorm underneath comfortably and even cook under.

My first thought was a 10' x 10' standard tarp, mostly because I currently use a 10' x 5' and I like the pitch, I just need more coverage on the sides to be able to really do anything but lay in the hammock under it if it rains. I also love the ability to use it as a multi-purpose piece of gear for tarp camping or any other uses I may find. It is my understanding that I can fashion doors out of this tarp fairly easily if needed as well. The tarp I'm looking at is the Etowah 10' x 10' sil nylon if you have any comments on that specific model.

But then I saw the WB Superfly and really liked it. It's most likely the way I'd try to pitch my 10' x 10' anyway... And I'd rather spend the extra cash now than end up wishing I had later and ending up buying it anyway. My only issue with that is its limited pitch options. Sometimes I like to have a tarp shielding me from the wind, but not directly over me, for windy but dry weather. With the Superfly it seems I'd either pitch the tarp or not pitch the tarp, rather than having options for how to pitch it.

So I guess to be more concise my main question is; how closely will I be able to mimic the pitch of the Superfly with a standard 10x10 and conversely how difficult (or impossible) is it to creatively pitch a Superfly to solve weather issues without blocking view when possible.

I'm sure this is a dilemna many have struggled with so let me know your thoughts, what you decided on, and how it's worked out for you.

Thanks guys!