GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH

Standard Tarp vs. One with Specific Pitch

So I'm going to be making a tarp purchase on Monday, but I'm still on the fence. I know I want a sil nylon tarp, as it's for backpacking and weight is a major concern, and I know I want something large enough to allow me to ride out a rainstorm underneath comfortably and even cook under.

My first thought was a 10' x 10' standard tarp, mostly because I currently use a 10' x 5' and I like the pitch, I just need more coverage on the sides to be able to really do anything but lay in the hammock under it if it rains. I also love the ability to use it as a multi-purpose piece of gear for tarp camping or any other uses I may find. It is my understanding that I can fashion doors out of this tarp fairly easily if needed as well. The tarp I'm looking at is the Etowah 10' x 10' sil nylon if you have any comments on that specific model.

But then I saw the WB Superfly and really liked it. It's most likely the way I'd try to pitch my 10' x 10' anyway... And I'd rather spend the extra cash now than end up wishing I had later and ending up buying it anyway. My only issue with that is its limited pitch options. Sometimes I like to have a tarp shielding me from the wind, but not directly over me, for windy but dry weather. With the Superfly it seems I'd either pitch the tarp or not pitch the tarp, rather than having options for how to pitch it.

So I guess to be more concise my main question is; how closely will I be able to mimic the pitch of the Superfly with a standard 10x10 and conversely how difficult (or impossible) is it to creatively pitch a Superfly to solve weather issues without blocking view when possible.

I'm sure this is a dilemna many have struggled with so let me know your thoughts, what you decided on, and how it's worked out for you.

Thanks guys!
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    There is porch mode that works well... With the doors I have seen some people batten down the side against the wind and then use the doors as side protectors and porch mode the down wind side...

You can always hang the ridgeline and then pull both sides of the tarp to the same side, that would block wind but still let you have your view up... You could even pitch the doors out to limit the wrap around affect wind has...

I see no gain personally in a square tarp, except in specific tarp camping... But even then I think the superfly with the doors does anything you would need it to do... Buy the superfly and if you don't like it you can sell it on here for 80% what you paid and still be ok... Just note that it doesn't come with tie outs or ridgeline...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    For views from the hammock you can set up porch mode with trekking poles or tree branches or by tying off to close by trees. The corners of the doors can be secured to each other so it will simple be a hex tarp. The side panel tie outs are nice to create extra room under the tarp as well.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Both those are referring to the Superfly?

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    After seeing a used Superfly for sale for $130 shipped (meaning only marked down by the cost of shipping, $11 in my case) I can't see any reason not to just go big right off the bat. The wife has given the green light so why not start with the most and later on I can decide what I need and don't need. If I wanna shed 4.5 oz down the road and don't think I'll miss the doors I can always sell the SF and buy a lesser tarp.

Thanks guys!

• + New Posts