Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Big believer in dynaglide whoopies, carbon toggles and DIY straps for my BIAS WW. For my Ridgerunner, I've decided to stick to the WB straps and Buckles, substituting the triangle connector with a Dutch Biner (Dudorino mod) so that I can easily remove the straps if sappy and store in a separate stuff sack, or I need to install/remove the Sprindrift.

Cheers!

Yes i understand the appeal of whoopies. However, when you hang where the 3 foot long straps only reach 1/8th the diameter of the tree ultimately the whooopie will be cutting into the tree.

So my vote goes to tri buckles and webbing. It's simple, infinitely adjustable. A few extra oz are worth carrying to hang on any tree....well except for the one that both 10 foot straps and hammock body will not reach around.

Images
    Yesterday, I was hanging and had the cord on my hammock fail. So I spliced it back together, got back in, only to have the other side fail. I realized I needed a new suspension. I went today to a marine supplier and picked up some dynaglide. I made myself my first whoopies ever -- the first one took me about an hour, the second one took about 5 minutes I don't have a place to hang indoors, so I found the nearest trees outside. I am in shock at how easy it was to adjust the hammock. This is just great. I'm looking forward to some sun tomorrow so I can get some snow-hiking in and hang out in the cold weather

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I have gone from ropes and knots to woopies and now I'm using the UCR with a safety pin. It's as simple as a woopie, but with the same amount of material I can reach twice as far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Insulation
    down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I love my Whoopies for the adjustability that I have.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    This one:

6-8' tree straps (depending on the size of the trees in the areas I'm going to) with 6' inverted whoopie slings with a whoopie hook on the end to attach to a continuous loop on the end of the hammock.

Not quite as fast as some others, but it's very light, easy, modular and easy to adjust.
    This is ALMOST what I use. I have the continious loops on my hammock, with the whoopie hook on the loop, and Dutch Buckles on the straps to attach the whoopies. If I get to some close trees, that aren't to big around, I skip the whoopies and hook the loops on the Dutch Buckles......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Yes i understand the appeal of whoopies. However, when you hang where the 3 foot long straps only reach 1/8th the diameter of the tree ultimately the whooopie will be cutting into the tree.

So my vote goes to tri buckles and webbing. It's simple, infinitely adjustable. A few extra oz are worth carrying to hang on any tree....well except for the one that both 10 foot straps and hammock body will not reach around.
    ...And this is why I carry 8' straps (down from the 15' I had on each side with my ring & strap suspension). I wanted to cut down on the amount of strapping I had to coil when I packed up in the morning (reducing possible failure points on my pack system).

If I lived somewhere with smaller trees being common, I'd cut 'em down even more. However, FL longleaf pines (very common) are not noted for their daintiness. At least, not the ones that have been around long enough to clear out the underbrush from underneath 'em.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Simple guys here that likes simple things. I go with the adjustable webbing suspension on my WBBB and Traveler......Dutch clips on both.

Jay

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345