Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I won a cheap net hammock as a prize at my Cub Scout pinewood derby in the late 80's. it sat in my closet until the summer of 1994 when I took it on a church caving trip. It had this cheap, slippery green rope suspension and after about 30 minutes of hanging, the knot slipped and dumped me on the rock-hard ground. I didn't hang again until the fall of 2012.

Images
    Slow slide thru descenders to the ground...

My first time in a hammock I was dumped. I have a hammock I bought from a discount store, and I’m not sure of the brand. Anyways, the first time I hung it up I used some old nylon rope. It lasted for a good hour then THUMP! The rope broke, I thought for sure I hit my head on a rock, and I was bleeding. After gathering my thoughts and the bleeding stopped, I realized there weren’t any rocks. The rope at the end of the hammock was a bungee type with a hook on it. Needless to say, It was the hook that cracked me in the head.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Once so far. Camping in the middle of nowhere, hung the hammock and sat down to find the local fabric store sells knock off strap. That junk parted like the red sea. Lesson learned.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered & Whipped/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings Duh
    I never have but a good buddy made a very very light DIY for a biking trip in Durango and after about a year of use ( down to 18) it finally ripped right in half.

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Yep,,after 1 1/2 yrs hanging in the house, eyebolt let go that was in the wall about 3am and dumped my butt on the floor about 2 weeks ago. Checked out where I had the eyebolt and it was in the crack between the 2 wall joices and not in the wood. Drilled another hole and filled the other one, this time its in the wood stud. (the wife had a good laugh!)
    Many funny stories...Mine is similar to Acer's'; I had a porch swing anchor pull out of the wall just after I had convinced my wife it was safe to pay me a visit in my hammock. She wasn't in, but just leaning in to give me a hug. With the extra weight, combined with a wall anchor between the tops of two boards, dropped me pretty fast. She didn't laugh...too much. Just my pride hurt, and then we had to retire to the regular bed.

Since then, I have rebuilt the wall, adding a sideways 2X4 on the other side of the sheetrock to make a more sturdy anchor. (My 107 yr. old 2 story farmhouse has lots of nooks and crannies where you can get back behind the walls on the second floor, where I have my hammock.)

I am an "every nighter" sleeper now, still alone, but get visitation rights to the regular bed though...
    Last edited by gmcpcs; 01-13-2013 at 22:00. Reason: typo
    Semper Veritas.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    I havent...yet...

Though i have had my turtlelady stand fall on top of me when i didnt double check that everything was set up square. Its happened a few different time till i learned exactly what the limits of that stand was. Nothing ever really got hurt, just my pride.
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

3 times

Once due to a junk knot on a Hennessy

Twice from grabbing hand full of under quilt upon stumbling back from a mid night nature call.

Hammock
    DIY double table cloth
    Tarp
    DIY with ridgeline
    Insulation
    Poncho liner DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY
    Images

Wink Myrtle

[QUOTE=Fish<><;909569]From the title I thought you were going to say your girl dumped you because you talk about hammocks more than you talk about her...

I have thankfully never had a failure. I use dynaglide Whoopies and straps for my suspension and has never failed me. I know a lot of people who are almost afraid of dynaglide, but if my brother (160lbs) can literally use his hammock as a swing with a roughly 15degree hang angle and not snap them, I'm pretty sure they'll hold just about anyone who is willing to go out in the woods in the first place.

End rant....

My wife has said, "You like your hammock more than me" and "I feel like you have a mistress" So I named my hammock Myrtle. As you can imagine, this did not go over well. Now we joke around that I'll be spending the weekend with my "Mistress". P.S. You have to actually not have a real mistress for this to work.
    Hanging in the Ozarks

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    All of these stories remind me why I always think, "no higher than I am willing to fall."
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast