1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    One time was due to the failure of my brain. Went to lay down, grabbed the hammock in one hand, the UQ in the other, and proceeded to sit, hit the edge of the hammock and on the ground, I was. Lucky that I wasn't hurt just my pride.

The next and last was on a DIY stand that relys on staked out guy lines to holdup the stand. One of the guys slowly pulled out of the ground during testing. I wasn't dumped, but let down....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Mine was an embarrassing episode in front of my rafting buddies. It was the first time I used my hammock on a rafting trip and they were all giving me crap and teasing me about the hammock. So I start to put my hammock up, and they all line up in their chairs to watch "the floor show." I was using descender rings and webbing at the time, and I forgot the half hitch behind the rings for safety. So I get it all rigged up, get in and lay down. Just as I'm starting to feel all smug and ready to tell my buddies to take a hike, I begin a steady decent to the ground on my butt. I was great entertainment for my friends. Needless to say I never forgot the back up knot the rest of the trip. But every time I put my hammock up.....they'd line up to watch and snicker So the moral of the story is.....know what you're doing before you do it in front of your non-hammock friends, or you will end up on the ground with egg on your face!!!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    mw3 uq & ss tq
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!!!
    YES!

Years ago when stationed in Hawaii (Pearl Harbor, Oahu). I was enjoying the morning in a very old string hammock strung between two palm trees in the side yard. Wife decided it was the perfect time for time with our then infant daughter. Wife came up and (without warning) dropped daughter onto my chest. Sudden change of weight was just too much for the hammock and it snapped and down I went! Hit my head on a heavy ceramic (navy) mug that I had on the ground. Mug opened a very nice gash on my scalp. Lots of blood! Daughter unharmed. 911 called. Ambulance could not find the house (I watched them go by several times!). Finally I walked to the dispensary that was maybe half a mile away. Got yelled at by the Navy dispensary folks for walking in with a head wound. Explanation that the ambulance could not find the address did not impress. Nice Saturday morning!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    A few times actually. Mule tape slipping, missing the hammock and sitting in the UQ, Went to Va and left huggers at home and used some older tiedown straps. But the last was the best. I had been playing with a single line suspension (SLS) and on our last group trip to Lake Wales Ridge. I had a tree hugger fail. Sounded like a 22 rifle going off. But in all events no harm was done since I'm never over a foot off the ground.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Asym
    Tarp
    Equinox
    Insulation
    LeighLo TQ, HHSS
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I've hit the ground twice so far. Both times in the same Grand Trunk Double. Once half way up Mt. Sopris, outside Carbondale, CO. Total user error. I had the clip upside down and just pounced into the hammock. Hit the ground hard and rolled down a hillside.

Second time, I had removed the clips, and tied knots. When my girlfriend and I got into it, we sheared the rope due to my bad knot tying skillz; looked like a knife sliced the rope. Knocked the breath out of both of us. That made her a bit gun shy of hammocks for a few months (I've since had her on several 16+ mile over nighters). I still have that piece of rope up on the wall of shame.

I've since replaced the suspension with Dutch clips and whoopies. Haven't hit the ground again.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    First time using a Buginator with an ENO DN. Stepped inside and commenced to mount the hammock. Grabbed what I thought was the edge of the hammock and moved it rearward in order to sit down. Ended up on my buttocks with my knees hanging over the un-stretched out hammock and a fist full of Buginator in my hand.

Wouldn't have been so bad, but I did it again an hour or so later.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Oh yea, adjusting my whoopies and did not notice that it slipped off the knot and layed down and BOOM! Happened so fast I had no warning. Knocked the wind right out of me but Im still here and still hangin proud And the sad thing is I am sure it wont be the last LOL!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    About 4 times, and though I would love to say it was because of equipment failure, it was always due to user error: too little material dedicated to my modified sheetbends (happened twice), and not spreading the base of my turtlelady hammock stands wide enough (also happened twice (timberrrrrrrrrr)).

You know what they say: those who do not learn from the past...

...are really, really stupid
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I've hit the ground twice.

Once when I had just begun ti experiment with UCR suspension and I did not come up with a good way to keep tension in the tail of the bury, so I slowly rode the hammock to the ground like an elevator.

On the other encounter with the ground, I wasn't in the hammock but in the UQ. The bad news is that it seems my night vision isn't too good after returning from a bathroom break. The good news is that it was pitch dark and no one saw me!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    All my descents were related to whoopie coming off marlin spike hitch and toggle, which is why I don't use them any more. I went to Dutch buckles, then Dutch Whoopie Hooks. No more unexpected drops!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast