Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Have you ever been dumped?

Have you ever been dumped out of your hammock due to some sort of equipment failure? If so, what were the specifics and the reason? Did your hammock material fail? Did your suspension fail? Did some part of your setup let you down? If so, what were the specifics behind the failure? I'm just worried because I've never personally experienced a fall, but I'm pretty nervous using whoopie slings for the first time. Just nervous that some part of my setup will let me down.
    Never. And I do mean NEVER, rub your eye after eating Jalepeno Kettle Cooked Potato Chips.

My Hiking Blog

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

failure

Yup, the pleated end DIY hammock I made snapped in an instant.

I had set up deep padding in case of a failure, and gotten into it several times to try it out. Then, later, with no padding, while making a few adjustments, one end popped, and it was sheared off in a clean line. Fortunately, that time it was only hung a few inches off the floor, but I still had a sore tail bone for a few days. This was probably caused by the placement of holes cut through for the suspension rope, which were too close together.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    From the title I thought you were going to say your girl dumped you because you talk about hammocks more than you talk about her...

I have thankfully never had a failure. I use dynaglide Whoopies and straps for my suspension and has never failed me. I know a lot of people who are almost afraid of dynaglide, but if my brother (160lbs) can literally use his hammock as a swing with a roughly 15degree hang angle and not snap them, I'm pretty sure they'll hold just about anyone who is willing to go out in the woods in the first place.

End rant....

Going to get in my hammock to relax a bit now.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY double table cloth
    Tarp
    DIY with ridgeline
    Insulation
    Poncho liner DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY
    Images

Wink Myrtle

[QUOTE=Fish<><;909569]From the title I thought you were going to say your girl dumped you because you talk about hammocks more than you talk about her...

I have thankfully never had a failure. I use dynaglide Whoopies and straps for my suspension and has never failed me. I know a lot of people who are almost afraid of dynaglide, but if my brother (160lbs) can literally use his hammock as a swing with a roughly 15degree hang angle and not snap them, I'm pretty sure they'll hold just about anyone who is willing to go out in the woods in the first place.

End rant....

My wife has said, "You like your hammock more than me" and "I feel like you have a mistress" So I named my hammock Myrtle. As you can imagine, this did not go over well. Now we joke around that I'll be spending the weekend with my "Mistress". P.S. You have to actually not have a real mistress for this to work.
    Hanging in the Ozarks

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    While I've never had a failure, I have been dumped once due to my own stupidity. On our last hang in fact.

Timberrr and I have been playing with our Chrysalis trying to get the insulation just right. On our first night it perfect for the first time ever (so of course I have to fiddle with it some more). The second night I discovered I had created a cold spot where one did not exist before. Instead of getting out of the hammock to fix it I sat up and tried to reach around under the hammock and adjust it that way. Turns out that was a bad idea.

Yes, you can roll a hammock. The good news is that the flip was so complete that I landed on my bottom not my head. The ground was very soft. Nothing was hurt, not even my pride, as Timberrr was kind enough not to laugh at me for it.

I did laugh at myself plenty though.
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    Instead of getting out of the hammock to fix it I sat up and tried to reach around under the hammock and adjust it that way. Turns out that was a bad idea.

Yes, you can roll a hammock. The good news is that the flip was so complete that I landed on my bottom not my head. The ground was very soft. Nothing was hurt, not even my pride, as Timberrr was kind enough not to laugh at me for it.
    Something similar happened to my son and that's how he got his name: Hammockflip.

I have had a hammock failure when experimenting with fabric. I didn't have a RL on it and hung it too tight in the dark. It took ~30min and the Earth slapped me for not paying attention.
    Last fall, or Autumn to avoid the pun, I didn't pay attention, again, and used old rope to hang my hammy to test my new bug net. I had left the MSH on the rope for a few months and both sides snapped at the hitch. After first fall, I reset that side and after an audible laugh by the Earth, the other side gave way and I got slapped again for my stupidity.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    All of these stories remind me why I always think, "no higher than I am willing to fall."
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Let me just say this. Make sure you check what you're haging from is structurely sound.

I got really lucky here that the whole awning didn't come down on me. My ham radio antenna mast offered some additional support which I think helped
    I had several successful hangs there but moved the straps down a little too close to a weak point. I knew it was there but thought it was ok.
    Luckily I was close to the ground and bounced.

I've now moved further out into the yard with my altered swing set frame

Hammock
    DIY Nest
    Insulation
    Old Bag
    Suspension
    Huggahs
    Whoa, thats nuts! I have definitely hit the ground a few times. Its no surprise considering my weight, luckily I am flexible and very active so I've never gotten hurt.

I will say however that I bought a Hennessy hammock as a test about 6-7 years ago and after flipping and falling right through the bug net, I didn't get back in a hammock for 5 years.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I've had a very slow and graceful decent after not milking one of my whoopies after adjusting. Not really a failure, just a lack of concentration

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast