Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Utility Constrictor Rope, UCR.
    There now when you search Utility Constrictor Rope it will pull this post up and you will have access to the thread. Also, you can subscribe to the thread if you want
    Tried that too, it said no matches. I just figured this would be a good tread to sticky anyways. Doesn't subscribing to a thread only alert you when a new response has been posted? I didn't think it made it show up any easier in the threads like a sticky does.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishmanHangeth View Post
    Tried that too, it said no matches. I just figured this would be a good tread to sticky anyways. Doesn't subscribing to a thread only alert you when a new response has been posted? I didn't think it made it show up any easier in the threads like a sticky does.
    You can go into your subscribed threads list and find it there.

Images
    Here's an easy way to turn your old whoopies into ucr's...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=75857

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ
    Blah mere hrs away from re-doing a another suspension when I finally decided to open this topic to read. I agree with xtrekker gonna need a time limiter to this forum way to addicting. LOL my nephew has a timer set by his parents so he can only play world of warcraft for 2hrs per day

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    To me it didn't look like this saves any more weight/bulk than whoopies... I may be wrong, but I just don't get it.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    To me it didn't look like this saves any more weight/bulk than whoopies... I may be wrong, but I just don't get it.
    The weight and bulk savings is small but still significant to many of the UL crowd..It also uses about 25%-40% less cordage to construct depending on total working length. The main reason I like UCRs over Whoopies is because the whoopies sometimes are hard to get loose when the suspension gets pulled too tight causing the whoopie to be under tension and locking the bury in place. The UCR is not susceptible to this being an issue at all. I have both and have used both and prefer UCRs. Its really just a preference thing...Use whatever you feel works for you...This often turns into a debate on which is better and neither is better...Just preference.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    The weight and bulk savings is small but still significant to many of the UL crowd..It also uses about 25%-40% less cordage to construct depending on total working length. The main reason I like UCRs over Whoopies is because the whoopies sometimes are hard to get loose when the suspension gets pulled too tight causing the whoopie to be under tension and locking the bury in place. The UCR is not susceptible to this being an issue at all. I have both and have used both and prefer UCRs. Its really just a preference thing...Use whatever you feel works for you...This often turns into a debate on which is better and neither is better...Just preference.
    What appeals to me is that UCRs provide a more direct line to what needs accomplishing. Plus, with a long hang that doubling back of a whoopee is a lot of material.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Diy 12x10 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S UQ
    Suspension
    Diy Whoopies
    Would their be a way of making a UCR with an adjustable loop at the end of it? Like a UCR Whoopie crossover? The adjustable loop doesnt have to be massive, say, a 6" loop.

Trying to wrap my head around how it would be possible (If at all). No amsteel to test it out right now, but it seems like their should be a way to do it. If so it would be the ultimate in hammock hanging solutions for SLS systems in my opinion.
    Last edited by randomsteve95370; 09-03-2013 at 16:41.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by randomsteve95370 View Post
    Would their be a way of making a UCR with an adjustable loop at the end of it? Like a UCR Whoopie crossover? The adjustable loop doesnt have to be massive, say, a 6" loop.

Trying to wrap my head around how it would be possible (If at all). No amsteel to test it out right now, but it seems like their should be a way to do it. If so it would be the ultimate in hammock hanging solutions for SLS systems in my opinion.
    Of course. Instead of splicing a fixed eye, make a whoopie. Would actually be easier to make. But, you would still need the full amount of bury to support your weight, doubling your minimum hang distance...

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Diy 12x10 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S UQ
    Suspension
    Diy Whoopies
    So you could make a whoopie and still splice it onto another rope?(A ridgeline for example) Not sure if I understand how you would do that. That is exactly what I want, but not sure how to go about making it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast