Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Rings and Webbing

I've been using descender rings and webbing since 2007.
    I've tried several other buckles and I always go back to the rings and webbing.

I may be replacing my webbing but I hope some of you can shed some light on a few questions.

First, I would like to be able to use trees a little further apart when needed and not have concern about webbing breaking or stretching.

I have not stayed current on all the webbing choices out there today, but I suspect some webbings may work better with descender rings than others, although I do use a slip knot so slipping is probably not a problem.

I've been using a 10' length of webbing with a loop on one end, were I use a U shaped piece of hardware that allows me to quickly go around the tree and clip the webbing back onto it's self.
    The bigger the tree, the more of the webbing it uses of course. That has not often been an issue but occasionally I may want to hang from trees somewhat further apart.
    Been hanging from trees at least 12' apart (12' tarp), but there are times I might want to use two trees, maybe 15' or more apart.
    That's when I get concerned about webbing stretching or breaking.

Any suggestions on strong, no stretch webbing?
    My weight is 260 btw.

I was going to add pictures of my set up but it said " invalid image".
    If anyone cares to see what I've been using, I see them on pages 3, 7 and 13 in my Hammock Forums gallery.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Maybe try Dutchware Polyester straps... can get Dutch clips sewn in if you like.

These are not zero stretch—nothing short of steel cables truly is—but are very low stretch.

Those are rated at 1500lbs. THESE are rated at 3000lbs.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    My honest opinion? Get some 2” huggers, larks head them to your straps, then move the U shaped hardware to them. The huggers can wrap the tree for you, leaving the full length of your straps to let you hang between trees further apart.

Not only is it easy, but it solves your problem while being easier on the trees.

I like the spider 1.5 2” huggers ( link here https://dutchwaregear.com/product/2-spider-web/ ) and the Kevlar 2” huggers ( link here https://dutchwaregear.com/product/2-kevlar-3-1-huggers/ ) that Dutch sells. I have both.

(Two of my hammocks are set up with descender rings, I use a slip knot after getting them to the correct spot, as you describe. For those hammocks I use the original spider straps ( link here https://dutchwaregear.com/product/spider-poly-straps/ ), larks headed to Kevlar 2” huggers. Hope this helps.)
    Last edited by KingMob; 03-27-2021 at 10:47.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Good info.
    Thanks.
    I am looking into these options.

the concern regarding excessive load on the webbing with trees which are far apart is a valid one, if one does not position the treestraps high enough on the trees, to get an angle close to 30deg. there is an interesting discussion on this forum regarding how to get the straps higher on the tree, safely, and thus get rid of "excessive tension" hangs (it's also worth looking into it for the sake of the trees). reducing the excessive load will also reduce the stretch, which will also help, but longer hangs with the same material will mean more stretch in any case, you might find it is acceptable though, if the angle is kept reasonable (you'll know once you try).

generally speaking, dyneema and kevlar are both known to be very low stretch (to the point where it's not noticeable), for whatever it is worth.

have a look, maybe it helps

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...lp-the-shortie!

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I use Warbonnet's cinch buckles when I get my Blackbird out, you can't get simpler or easier than cinch buckles. Quick, easy to use in winter, plenty strong enough, and infinitely adjustable. ��

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    "dyneema and kevlar". thanks. That's helpful.

For some reason, I didn't see the cinch buckles on Warbonnet's site.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    If you are using climbing rated webbing with the descender rings they certainly are stout enough to hang your hammock and you from a couple of trees. Plus, climbing webbing will be advertised with the load rating it can handle. Having said that I use 1" nylon or polyester straps as my go to straps even though I have fancier Dyneema type straps in a variety of styles. This is largely because they work well with the WB pentagram buckles or DH cinch buckles. I also use descender rings on my Hammocktent 90 hammocks in conjunction with a clove hitch on a bight, slippery clove hitch, at the rings. If I have doubts I'll toss a half hitch with the bight loop around the strap as a back up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Any body know the weight per foot of the 3000 POUND WEBBING STRAPS?

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    If you are using climbing rated webbing with the descender rings they certainly are stout enough to hang your hammock and you from a couple of trees. Plus, climbing webbing will be advertised with the load rating it can handle. Having said that I use 1" nylon or polyester straps as my go to straps even though I have fancier Dyneema type straps in a variety of styles. This is largely because they work well with the WB pentagram buckles or DH cinch buckles. I also use descender rings on my Hammocktent 90 hammocks in conjunction with a clove hitch on a bight, slippery clove hitch, at the rings. If I have doubts I'll toss a half hitch with the bight loop around the strap as a back up.
    I remember looking at some of the climbing years ago and even used some in my bedroom for the hammock.
    Don't know which climbing webbing I had but it was heaaaavy. Not something I would use for backpacking.

The 3000 POUND WEBBING STRAPS on Dutchware's site might be a good compromise if I knew the weight per foot.

I see I didn't give the reason for wanting such a strong, low stretch webbing.

Since about 2008, I have been using a different style hammock.
    It's 48" wide by 11' long.

I don't give it as much sag as most other hammocks, strung quite a bit tighter.
    I added attachments on both sides above my head that allow me to spread the hammock with one of my hiking poles.

Between the tighter hang, the narrow width and the spread, I don't have the typical wall of fabric blocking my view of the world on one side.

For anyone interested, they can go to my profile, click on gallery and see overall views and close ups.
    I see them on pages 3, 7 and 13.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast