Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    NC State parks allow hanging at all camp sites unless specifically stated otherwise. Oddly enough though it is practically impossible to hang at Hammocks State Park due to lack of suitable trees, so I've been told
    The only trees I saw suitable for hanging were around the park HQ (on the mainland) where camping is not allowed. Out on the island where camping is allowed I did not see any trees you could hang from. If have a kayak or boat you might be able to find a place to hang on one of the many small islands close to the island part of the park.

I had a hammock in my day pack in case I found a spot but never did
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    BW webbing
    I have hung in Ok state parks never had any one question me other than about my Kit.
    I have found a great little forest service road that crosses the state line between Ok & Ar a few times going up a mountain (yes I know not very hight to be called a mountain but the locals call them that) and this has me to thinking with a little GPS work I bet I can haing in both states at the same time..... Might be fun to do just because.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodad View Post
    Me likey what you say and I'm glad to hear that - here's my experience: a couple of months ago I called Vogel and Unicoi SPs and the rangers at both said no dice. Also called Laura Walker SP (other end of the state in the flatlands) and they said sure, why not.
    I then spoke to one of the DNR honchos in Atlanta who made friendly noises, but said it's the managers on the ground who have final say-so.
    I was at Unicoi last weekend (wet, but fun!) and asked the guy behind the at the Registration counter if hammocks were allowed even though I didn't have one with me. He said, "you can't put bolts, screws or nails in the trees; you can't damage the trees". I said, "I use tree huggers; 1.5" webbing and practice leave no trace camping". He said, "cool, as long as you don't damage the trees".

Up the hill and across from me (in the walk in area) there was a dude hanging (not a camping set up, just for lounging). He slept in a tent. I didn't get to talk to him, but the rangers didn't hassle him. He had slap straps I think. YMMV in GA parks.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor1887 View Post
    I was at Unicoi last weekend (wet, but fun!) and asked the guy behind the at the Registration counter if hammocks were allowed even though I didn't have one with me. He said, "you can't put bolts, screws or nails in the trees; you can't damage the trees". I said, "I use tree huggers; 1.5" webbing and practice leave no trace camping". He said, "cool, as long as you don't damage the trees".

Up the hill and across from me (in the walk in area) there was a dude hanging (not a camping set up, just for lounging). He slept in a tent. I didn't get to talk to him, but the rangers didn't hassle him. He had slap straps I think. YMMV in GA parks.
    I've hung at Unicoi twice in the past cople of years with no problems. That said, I needed to be in closer proximity to Young Harris College for commitments there so I've managed to line up a couple of places on campus that I can hang for free and with administration approval - can't beat that!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Virginia requires all camping be done on the "site" assigned to you. The issue with that is the very nice "pads" do not have trees growing on them, therefore you can't hang.

There are a very limited number of VA state parks that have "primitive camping" available meaning they are in the woods and not located on pads. According to the web site, nothing can be attached to the trees. My phone call was answered with "it is up to the park manager to determine if your straps are doing damage or not but they will error on the side of caution as it is their job to protect the fauna and wildlife inside their park."

Guess that means no hammocks unless you use a stand

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Insulation
    Self-inflating pad
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Virginia requires all camping be done on the "site" assigned to you. The issue with that is the very nice "pads" do not have trees growing on them, therefore you can't hang.

There are a very limited number of VA state parks that have "primitive camping" available meaning they are in the woods and not located on pads. According to the web site, nothing can be attached to the trees. My phone call was answered with "it is up to the park manager to determine if your straps are doing damage or not but they will error on the side of caution as it is their job to protect the fauna and wildlife inside their park."

Guess that means no hammocks unless you use a stand
    Connecticut has almost the same situation. Nothing is allowed to be tied to the trees AT ALL... except deer stands.

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor1887 View Post

Good to know...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123