Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images

Commercial Stands

Has anyone had any experience with any of the commercial hammock stands?
    I've been looking at several of them in the $100-150 range including Vario and other similar styles. I need to know how easy they are to break down and store or if they're bolted together or pinned.
    I've seen the ones that have the extensions with a chain or cable connecting them to hang a canopy. How easy is it to DIY some kind of extension that will fit into to end tubes and string a cord across and hang my own tarp?

I've made the Risk style stand but it's just not attractive enough or compact enough to take along when I have to do the travel trailer thing with my wife.

I believe Jeff said he had the Vario, I'd like to hear some thoughts...
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    I also have the vario. I like it. It is setting my my bedroom next to my bed right now. I got that one because it was one of the few small enough to fit.

It does come apart easily. It still weighs 50 lbs. The pieces are around 3 feet when taken apart. I use a simple loop on the ends to go into the hooks. I haven't tried using a tarp on it yet. You might be able to without any extra extenions depending on the size of your tarp. It just doesn't rain much in my house.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    From what I can tell I will need a cord or cable connecting the ends. It looks like the ends will widen a little when you put weight in the hammock. A tarp tied to the ends could rip and tear without a cord or cable maintaining the same spread.
    Stoikurt

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    From what I can tell I will need a cord or cable connecting the ends. It looks like the ends will widen a little when you put weight in the hammock. A tarp tied to the ends could rip and tear without a cord or cable maintaining the same spread.
    I would think the opposite - the ends would get closer together and make the tarp sag. Kinda like hanging from small trees.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I would think the opposite - the ends would get closer together and make the tarp sag. Kinda like hanging from small trees.
    That may be true if the end posts were vertical, but they angle inwards so the stress is different. I guess it depends on how far inward they angle. But hey, some of you are the engineers and mathmeticians, here's a new project for you to find if it will pull in or stretch out depending on the angles of the supports.
    Stoikurt

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Hey HE,
    On your Vario Stand, does the hammock connect to hook on the side of the tubes or does it connect to something inserted into the end of the tube? The latter might be a problem if I want to add an upright on each end to extend up so I can tie on a tarp.
    Stoikurt

Images
    It connects to a hook on the end of the tubes. I tried to use a knot on the tube, but my straps kept sliding down.

I'll have to try it, but I think that you could use the hook for both. I usually have my tarp hung just below my straps on the trees anyways. I'll have to try that sometime.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I really like the Vario. It's simple to put together and comes apart easily, even though it's pretty heavy.

The sides do flex in quite a bit when I get in. When I hang a tarp, I tie it to one end, then run a cord over the other support and hang something from it...usually a gallon of water (not like I'm going ultralight when I have this stand anyway). This keeps the tarp taut all night...very simple. I've slept in the rain with it several times.

A bungee cord would probably work just as well...like I said, weight isn't really an issue when you're in a stand.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I really like the Vario. It's simple to put together and comes apart easily, even though it's pretty heavy.

The sides do flex in quite a bit when I get in. When I hang a tarp, I tie it to one end, then run a cord over the other support and hang something from it...usually a gallon of water (not like I'm going ultralight when I have this stand anyway). This keeps the tarp taut all night...very simple. I've slept in the rain with it several times.

A bungee cord would probably work just as well...like I said, weight isn't really an issue when you're in a stand.
    How much space does it have between the supports? The site says 12' length, but that might mean along the bottom? I'd need something at least 13' to accommodate my tarp on car camping trips.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I haven't measured, but there are three places to extend the ridgeline length. I'd guess it's more than 12' if it's completely extended. If you're looking to buy one, I'll measure it for ya.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast