Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I want the pony express back!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    The only reason USPS is "not profitable" is due to congress changing requirements to the pension system (in 2006) and requiring the USPS to pre-fund the pension system for the next 75 years. (Note, the pension system is 105% over funded.) If it weren;t for the 2006 law, the USPS would be operating at a surplus (profit) of over $1.5 billion, and the pension system would still be completely funded. /threadjack

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    I didn't mean to unload on USPS. We have some issues in our area. I see now why some of you are offended by some of the posts about USPS. If I had friends and family that worked there I would possibly have a different outlook. I'm sure for every bad encounter with USPS there is one for UPS and FED EX to go with it. Unfortunately the thread was about USPS. I'm sorry if I offended anyone that was not my intention. I think we have had some issues over the holidays and this thread got me fired up a bit. So that being said good luck with all your shipping. On a positive note you have a great family owned business on the other end of this and hopefully all is well shortly.
    What you need to know about the USPS is that the Congress spun if off into a private company but they did not giver up control. They still set the rates and mandate the coverage. The result leaves the PO caught in the middle where they are always on the verge of broke. That is where the government wants them. They also run a long list of unprofitable routes for the same reason. If UPS or FEDEX had to match them they would be broke.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY Gathered & Whipped/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings Duh
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    The only reason USPS is "not profitable" is due to congress changing requirements to the pension system (in 2006) and requiring the USPS to pre-fund the pension system for the next 75 years. (Note, the pension system is 105% over funded.) If it weren;t for the 2006 law, the USPS would be operating at a surplus (profit) of over $1.5 billion, and the pension system would still be completely funded. /threadjack
    This is primarily true if you use production from 2006. This is a huge reason why they are in the trouble they are in. And congress did pass this. That being said they are something like 22% down on mail sent so they continue to lose business with no sign of regaining it. Last year they threatened to shut down 3700 locations and end Saturday deliveries. So they are really fighting two huge battles. Hopefully they will figure it out.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered & Whipped/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings Duh
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    What you need to know about the USPS is that the Congress spun if off into a private company but they did not giver up control. They still set the rates and mandate the coverage. The result leaves the PO caught in the middle where they are always on the verge of broke. That is where the government wants them. They also run a long list of unprofitable routes for the same reason. If UPS or FEDEX had to match them they would be broke.
    This is true. If I remember correctly they were begging congress to let them end Saturday delivery and close multiple stores. I'm not sure how I posted my way into this but am not a USPS know it all. Just speaking on the news and personal experience.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    If the shipping label is printed thru PayPal you'll get a "Your order has shipped" email right away. When in fact all that has happened is that the postage has been paid. This happened to me once on a order from from one of our vendors here. I got the ship info on a Tuesday, when the package didn't actually get to the PO until late Thursday.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I have had similar experience, but not with HG, just USPS. Showed that it was hung up, then the next time I checked, the package was on the way. I wouldn't get too upset just yet......RR
    Same here. No need to freak out yet.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    If you want real horror stories...try shipping overseas. I had gear sitting in Canadian customs for 2 weeks. Closer to home, my son had college text books shipped out of Virginia take a cross country tour through the continential United States. It saw Colorado, Iowa, Cleveland, and finally got stuck in Jersey City for a week. Long story short, everything finally came. I feel your frustration and hope for speedy delivery.
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    Same here. No need to freak out yet.
    Agreed - not freaking out (now or in the future). But still disappointed. When we stop holding folks accountable to what they're supposed to deliver in terms of quality, service, etc. we run into problems. I've personally never experienced any delays with anyone other than USPS. I know that others have better experiences - just not me.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    ...ZQ here...I wasn't offended...no worries!
    Same here. Was just adding a bit of balance and perspective. Sometimes I need those added to things I say.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast