Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    It's about perspective. If you only ship one or two items with them, and they lose one of them, then you probably have a pretty low opinion of them. Thus, my disapproval of USPS. They lost a dive knife I was shipping to have a sheath made, a couple months ago. Well, they lost it or the knife simply disappeared because they found the Priority box and returned the label to me. I didn't insure it because I usually use UPS or Fedex and it would have been covered with the standard $100. My real problem lies in their lack of response and the difficulty I had in filing a loss report. They are not very user friendly. I will try to avoid ever using them again and it could sway my decision on where to purchase items, if that is the only means offered.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet BMJ
    Insulation
    Hammockgear Addict
    I just love a happy ending.

Hammock
    HH, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OP nylon thingy
    Insulation
    JRB nest S2S MCII
    Suspension
    treehuggers, rings
    I am always a nervous wreck when USPS is involved....
    Don't ya' with you could buy everything face to face?
    You don't want to die? Thats easy. Don't fail
    -Dan Osman

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    The only reason USPS is "not profitable" is due to congress changing requirements to the pension system (in 2006) and requiring the USPS to pre-fund the pension system for the next 75 years. (Note, the pension system is 105% over funded.) If it weren;t for the 2006 law, the USPS would be operating at a surplus (profit) of over $1.5 billion, and the pension system would still be completely funded. /threadjack
    I don't believe this to be the only reason. After 13 years in the Direct Mail business, it was always my understanding that the only branch of the USPS that actually MADE money was the bulk mail unit.

The amount of mail they move effectively is pretty impressive, but I'd hate to tell you some of the stuff I've found in mail trays that had been sitting around for weeks.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just had the same issue with a package last week, I got it mid last week but USPS still says it's in LA. I've also had issues with them sending me notification of delivery hours before I've had it show up on my doorstep. That one really sent me into a panic.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    I've had problems with both FedEx and UPS in the last week. Basically, unless you work in a business office, good luck getting a package that requires a signature. I HATE dealing with them.

I'll go with USPS every time if it's an option.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I feel i need to correct some members one USPS
    USPS DOES NOT have tracking ... Delivery Confirmation is NOT the same as tracking has nothing to do with track your package it has to do with letting the seller know the package got to it's end destination,not every stop in between ... Thats it

so Keep that in mind when using DC from USPS

and that is right from the horses mouth as they say

Also like others have said .. if you got the shipping notice Via Paypal and it shows it sitting at the start location IE Ohio it didn't really ship yet... it will say at the bottom of the DC screen that shipping information for a Package was sent and or received by or to USPS .. thats it , SO keep that in mind as well when reading the DC screen (it will say something of the sort near the bottom on the box )

in no way am i defending USPS but i felt some misconceptions should be cleared up for future references
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Interesting reading. I like both sides of the issue being discussed. It is always helpful to think of other versions.

I have a lot of issues with USPS delivering MY MAIL. I am forever getting other peoples mail. Mine goes missing too often. Anything that says Sally or Sarah, gets to our house. Many times it is addressed to someone that lives in a different zip code. The local Post Office knows me, I have been in there so many times looking for my mail, or giving them misdelivered mail.

UPS and Fedx also misdeliver mail either my mail some place else or someone elses mail to my house. I also find packages in my bushes, all wet and soggy.

When I order something and it does not show up, I have learned to file a claim with my Credit or Debit Card Company. I should receive what I paid for. I think companies should assure their clients receive their merchandise. If I am given the option, I pay the extra $ for insurance.

Ebay, stuff is always going missing. I want to see proof it was mailed. If the vendor does not prove they posted the merchandise, then why should they receive my $. When I mail, I send the item with insurance. I think it is my responsibilty to see that the addressee receives what they paid for.

Now when I receive someone elses mail, I write on it "Misdelivered". USPS does not like that practice, however, I think people should know that the posties are not reading addresses.

I ship international, it is expensive, however, I insure, know what the laws are and so far everything works well. I have been shipping to the UK for 6 years and Canada-USA-Canada for 20 years. No problems.

I recently ordered from CamperMade, when the package arrived from him, part of the contents were missing. I talked to my Post Master and neighbor about the missing item. Hm, it showed up in the mail a couple of days later. Surprise. I hope if I keep fussing, the Postie will look at my address before droping my mail in a box. Or I guess it could work the other way. Gee, I give them fresh baked cookies, every so often.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Interesting discussion! By coincidence, a few weeks ago at church, the sermon was on work, (ethics, doing your best, working hard , honesty in the workplace etc.) I happened to walk in the mens room afterwords, and heard a very intersting conversation between two postal employees. They were talking about how hard it is to be honest as a postman---lots of people padding their expense accounts, exaggerating their mileage, and the one that really got my attention, was inaccurate tracking info for packages-- entering a package in the computer as delivered, when it hadnt even left the building yet! Not to offend any postal employees out there in hammock world, but lets just say there's room for improvment at the USPS! (I dont blame the employees, any goverment agency Ive ever delt with (FAA, USPS,TSA, etc) seems to be really ineffecient , ineffective and slow to change) Anyway, thats all Ive got to say about that!
    ...ZQ here...I've talked to several of my mailmen/women over the years, and they have to account for every minute...if their route delivery takes longer than it should, there has to be a good reason for it. These are the intown walking mailmen. They have delivery vehicles they drive, park...then walk the routes. I guess it depends on the individual post masters, and how they run their ships.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    i just have to vent... i know that it's the cheapest way to send things... and i'm sure it will arrive sometime...

but my dang shipping said it would be here yesterday, and i just spoke with the mail lady today and still nothing... that's ridiculous to be 2 days off, how come UPS and FedEx can get it to my house and even tell me what time it will be here or there abouts... and USPS can't even get within the same day... i mean SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!

i ordered something and it shipped Tuesday, and it will arrive today with very little Fuss and will be on my porch when i get back from errands in a bit i am sure... but that is because i know it is coming in the Big Brown Truck... if it was USPS it could be next week before it arrived if their shipping is two days off...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast