Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hammock Hiking with Dog--sleep arrangements

I am planning to hike the AT this year. Doing it the hammock way was a part of my plan even though I have yet to sleep in my Speer hammock. This week I learned that my Standard Poodle, Fleur, will have to be with me instead of where I had arrangements for her to be. I am adjusting. Doing it with my hammock is still important to me. Descending from my elevated "bed," I picture tarp, then hammock, then Fleur connected to me with her 6-foot leash, then some sort of padding for her to sleep upon. As you read this, does your hair stand on end? Please advise. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    No, it curls. Continue adjusting until you get to Maine (assuming you're NOBO). First prioritize the big three: dog, hike, hammock. You can only do this by hiking a lot ahead of time.

Curls?

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    No, it curls. Continue adjusting until you get to Maine (assuming you're NOBO). First prioritize the big three: dog, hike, hammock. You can only do this by hiking a lot ahead of time.
    Thanks, David, for your response. Hiking a lot is important, of course. I get that. I don't know what you mean by "it curls" though. Are you saying that I will be dumped own upon her? Probably something else. Someday I will know how to speak hammockeeze.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Thanks, David, for your response. Hiking a lot is important, of course. I get that. I don't know what you mean by "it curls" though. Are you saying that I will be dumped own upon her? Probably something else. Someday I will know how to speak hammockeeze.
    His hair curls, and doesn't stand on end.

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    i will be starting my thru hike in mid march, with my dog 'salsa" a rhodesian ridgeback.
    after much consideration , i decided to tent camp, [shudder], till i get to hot springs and then hammock up to new england, where i will switch out again,
    this is only due to the cold at the start and finish, and maybe unwarranted , but,i dont want her sleeping in the cold wind after being wet all day.
    id be glad to share my thoughts about this if you want to pm me
    bill

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    My experience with Scout The Wonder Dog is that he considers himself a growedazz dog and he'll sleep where he wants to. I generally use a 20 foot long shielded wire cable to fix him to a tree. He carries it in his pack, so the weight (for me) is not a big concern, and he can carry a LOT of his food even with the cable. When the weather is very cold or raining very hard, he chooses to sleep under me on the ground cloth. When its nice he curls up somewhere outside the tarp or if the rain is light, just inside the open end.

One thing to consider, and this is just my opinion, is that the dog might want to choose where she will sleep, and may be the better judge of where is the best place. Scout's primary concern, it seems, is to guard the location. I think that's why he sleeps outside the tarp in good weather and just inside the tarp if its rainy. I think the reason that he sleeps under me when its cold is that is the point where he considers warmth to be more important than guarding. The only real problem I have with giving him this much liberty is that sometimes his cable fouls the guy lines on the tarp. he generally figures out where he can and can't go after a few tries, but I still have to free him up on occasion so that he can learn the lesson.

My ground cloth is a 36" square of DVR. In cold weather I carry a thin CCF pad as a sit pad, and put that down on the ground cover for him to sleep on. The only time he seems to want to sleep on it is when its cold. Since you're using a six foot leash, your dog's choices will be somewhat more limited, which may be more of a curse than a blessing, especially if she wants to sleep 7 feet away from you.

Of course, training will help. If you go out with her every weekend and arrange it so that she can't sleep anywhere other than underneath you regardless of conditions, eventually she'll do it without any leashes or confinement---it will become the normal thing for her to do.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Has any dog finished the AT?
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    A few years back I meet a guy hiking the trail who was partially deaf so his dog was a service animal and was allowed through the smokies with his dog. I don't know if they went up katadin together though.

I know the saying is HYOH but when Im with my dog I hike my dogs hike. Me and Cranky Bear had to get off the trail one time cause my dog over heated it was just to hot for her to be out. So imho its totally doable with a dog but may present some challenges.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Look at the guy with the toothy grin....

at2k-5830.jpg
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    technically ,no,
    dogs are banned in the smokies and in baxter,sp, but plenty of dogs have done the rest of it

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast