DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Threading the needle is made easy with a bees wax block. Pull a few inches of the end through the bees wax to stiffen the thread. Put your glasses on (or not) and it will slide right through. I have never been impressed with the "easy threading" features. Bees wax rules.
    The other trick is to cut the thread on an angle - I know most will think that the thread is so thin that it wouldn't make much difference but it does!!

My sewing threads are always cut for threading the machines with a small pair of 'embroidery' scissors.

It's kinda like tapering amsteel for burying...

At this point in life, it's not how stiff the thread is or is not, it's being able to see the hole in the needle that requires the glasses...

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    If I had 11 year old eyes, threading the needle would be a piece of cake.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Your daughter doesn't necessarily need a sewing machine to make clothes for her dolls. I started sewing them by hand long before I moved up to a sewing machine. Designing and constructing doll clothes was way more fun than playing with the dolls. I liked constructing their houses, too.

Now I am 58. I can't see the hole in the sewing machine needle but I can thread it just because I have over 50 years practice! Must be muscle memory.

You may want to enroll her in a sewing class if you don't have skills to pass onto her. I was blessed to have a mother who was a good seamstress and her best friend was even better. Lots of good memories from those times spent learning the craft. And I have used those skills to design and construct clothing, home decor and outdoor gear.

Lastly, all my friends who are good seamstresses have amazing math skills, so there may be some correlation. Never hurts to know math in this world.

Images
    I"m using a Brother CE8080PRW. It's an inexpensive, computerized model with 80 built in stitch patterns. It does most everything you need to do and I can sew denim or most anything lighter with it. Good speed control too. The LCD display shows you the stich number, length, width, and also what foot you need to be using for the selected stitch. Sews button holes in 1 operation.

I think I paid about $130 for it at Walmart.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Get her the best you can afford. She'll be using it 20, 30 or 40 years from now. I'm using the one my wife either had before or bought shortly after our marriage 39, no 40 years ago this March. Kids today totally amaze me with their grasp of the mechanical. My Granddaughter, 12 yo, was over this evening complaining that her new I phone couldn't see the sim card even though one was in the phone. Next thing I knew she had it ' torn apart' pieces laying all over the table. Next I heard 'there now it's working'! It took me a half hour reading the instructions before using my first cordless drill. In a few months she'll be making TQ's and UQ's.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Finger guards

I take no position on them. Just be aware that some "school" machines in particular and even some industrial machines come with them.

But, DO NOT be tempted by a new or rehabbed "school" machine. Totally agree with most of what has been posted. There are so many fine machines with perfect paint you can restore to working condition with cleaning and oiling. For under $50.

But, did anyone mention how flakey the old carbon foot and knee controllers can be, seemingly all off or all on? You can find a new electronic one from Jenny at Sew-Classic for $20.

Last, try to get someone to entrance your daughter with sewing for what she can make. Otherwise, she may disappointed in the absence of dozens of fancy stitches available with the push of an electronic button.

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    To be honest most any machine will do and if you think she'll move on to sewing nice clothes it's best to get a decent machine. Having a real workhorse is great but most 11 year olds probably would find sewing more interesting if they could mimick ready to wear garments. Some of the newer high end garment machines can mimick a coverstitch and can handle the really large ornamental floss type threads common on jeans today. Keep in mind that domestic machines break down into two categories - quilting and garment making and it will make a difference to a girl making doll clothes. The features for garment making I look for are feed, adjustments, power and smoothness. On gear you really don't need adjustments often but switching from denim to sheer it makes a world of difference to be able to adjust presser foot pressure and sewing small items on a clunky machine is frustrating. An elna Carina would probably be a great machine to start, as would a bernina record or 801. Many necchis were garment aimed as were the whites. Most Vikings were aimed at the quilting crowd and you can see it by how long and thin their presser feet are. Most quilting machines are only meant to sew straight lines and they do it well. The garment machines have wide feed dogs and short presser feet, and it's a good combo for the small corners on doll clothes.

Overall, just get a machine that you can fix if needed (don't buy a disposable plastic one from wal mart) and keep it serviced regularly. (Even when machines sit they still need to be taken care of at least annually)
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pag View Post
    To be honest most any machine will do and if you think she'll move on to sewing nice clothes it's best to get a decent machine. Having a real workhorse is great but most 11 year olds probably would find sewing more interesting if they could mimick ready to wear garments. Some of the newer high end garment machines can mimick a coverstitch and can handle the really large ornamental floss type threads common on jeans today. Keep in mind that domestic machines break down into two categories - quilting and garment making and it will make a difference to a girl making doll clothes.
    I agree with this with one caveat. The OP placed a $100 - 200 price range. It is difficult to get a good modern machine that will last and perform well in that price range. For gear... I like the old workhorses. For garments I like the newer machines but in a top end price range. That usually means $800 - 1200 now days. That's a bit beyond what the OP said. As far as the fancy stitches... I still maintain the design quality of stitches found on cheap machines is not worth bothering with at the best of times. For doll clothes she's be better off with small appliques and trim stitched on by hand. Learn two skills at once.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12