Dream Hammock Danger Bird
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I am all for a section hike on the NCT and or going to waterloo and doing a group hike but how many group members would we lose by doing something like this? Not all group members are at the same fitness level and we are talking about going from a relaxing weekend hang to busting some booty down the trail. Dont get me wrong i would love to do something like this but we need to think about the other members as well. y dont we vote on a group hang or a group hike and go from there.... That's my thought....

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrkid View Post
    I am all for a section hike on the NCT and or going to waterloo and doing a group hike but how many group members would we lose by doing something like this? Not all group members are at the same fitness level and we are talking about going from a relaxing weekend hang to busting some booty down the trail. Dont get me wrong i would love to do something like this but we need to think about the other members as well. y dont we vote on a group hang or a group hike and go from there.... That's my thought....
    My thoughts exactly!
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB CB / UGQ WD
    Insulation
    WB Lynx / LL GP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Michigandave

Michigandave,
    That would be really cool. We could look at logical spots to stop for evenings and such, and try not to do over 6-8 miles a day so more would be likely to join. I am a trail adopter and member of the chief noonday chapter here in Calhoun and Barry counties. So the NCT is near to my heart. I have always wanted to section hike the michigan portion. If this is something that doesn't fly for the whole group, I would be up to talking with you about doing it as a smaller group and accomplishing it some years down the road.
    Mike

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vampiresmiley View Post
    It looks like Waterloo-Pickney could be done as a 3 day through hike, but it would be longer hikes each day:
    Day 1 15 mi from Big Portage Lake to Sugarloaf.
    Day 2 16.5 mi from Sugarloaf to Blind Lake
    Day 3 7 mi from Blind Lake to Silverlake day area (or 4.5 mi with the shortcut)

Those interested in less hiking or just an overnight could meet up at Blind Lake on Fri/Sat, or just Sat.

Michael
    Day two mileage can be shorter with stay at Green Lake, would add a few miles to day three...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Can also stay at Horsemans Camp for day one overnight...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrkid View Post
    Good idea, I'm equally open to either as both are enjoyable in their own right... I'll defer the hike versus relaxing hang to the group.

Michael

A couple things at Pinckney: Blind lake is max 1 night stay and last I heard fires are banned. Crooked Lake is rustic with no stay limits and puts the group in a great spot for some nice day hike or loops of various miles. I'm up for whatever the group decides. Isn't it all about just getting out there, making new friends and hangin out? Oh, and the gastronomical feast is pretty good too

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    I personally would like to go to a place where there isn't a huge hike in to the campsite involved. I don't have ultralight gear and will admit I am very out of shape. I wouldn't mind setting up a base camp and doing a long hike on one of the days though. Also I am not 100% sure I can get a Friday off, so may need to come up on Saturday and would need an easy place to meet up with everyone. Is that doable at Waterloo\pickney? I have only ever been there once and that was just for a day hike. Also the sooner we set a date the more likely I will be able to go... I work every other weekend, but can get usually get time off if I know far enough In advance.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Slings/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by adventuregirl View Post
    I personally would like to go to a place where there isn't a huge hike in to the campsite involved. I don't have ultralight gear and will admit I am very out of shape.
    I think Blind Lake is close to a road. I know that some have parked on the side of that road and did the short hike in for an over-nighter. You may consider that. Anyone know any details about this?
    "Workin' on mysteries without any clues" - Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by shogun_8574 View Post
    I think Blind Lake is close to a road. I know that some have parked on the side of that road and did the short hike in for an over-nighter. You may consider that. Anyone know any details about this?
    I just got off the phone with the Ranger at Pinckney. There is road access, but parking is not allowed or encouraged. No legal spot to park, plus the campground is geared toward "walk-in". You could run a couple cars over to unload gear and firewood (more on that), plus whoever wanted to stay, but cars would have to be at designated areas in the park (Silver Lake etc). Fires: The pits are being removed May 1, 2013, so April would have to be the time to go. Reason for removal is deforestation by unscupulous campers, so we'd have to drop off our own firewood, or we'd have to do alot of looking for good wood. Other note: Blind Lake is 1 night max stay (Saturday), so Friday night would be at another campground in Pinckney.

Another option is for those who want to do the long hike on the Pottawatami could start on Friday: Day 1 15 mi from Big Portage Lake to Sugarloaf.
    Saturday: Day 2 16.5 mi from Sugarloaf to Blind Lake; and Day 3 7 mi from Blind Lake to Silverlake day area (or 4.5 mi with the shortcut). Tough mileage, but doable for those that want to tackle it.
    Last edited by michigandave; 01-25-2013 at 15:28.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast