Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

My Double-Hang Method

Hello,

I tried all of the double-hang methods such as the spreader bars and the over-under method. I did not care for any of these methods. The spreader bars work but they cause the hammocks to go up and down which makes pitching the tarp a pain. I did not feel safe using the over-under method.

The method I use now is basically an anti-spreader bar method. Let's just call it the "gap-defining" method because it defines the gap between the two hammocks.

When double hanging I find that I need three trees. I tie the foot-ends of the hammocks to one tree and then tie the head-ends of the hammocks to two different trees. The head-end trees must be farther apart than the hammocks will ultimately be apart. I don't have any pics but I have hung my hammocks on trees that were quite far apart.

Also, for the sake of convenience, one of the head-end trees may be farther from the foot-end tree than the other head-end tree. In this case, the line going to the farthest head-end tree would be fixed higher on the tree. Putting the line higher in the tree will allow both hammocks to hang at the same level. I put plastic line levels, from lowes, on my ridgelines to help me hang hammocks. Double hanging from multiple trees is a bit tricky and the line levels are a great training tool!!!!

The gap-defining method may be best suited for hammocks with ridgelines because when only one hammock is in use tension is transferred to the unused hammock. This increase in tension will cause the hammocks to rise and fall a few inches.

The picture below should be self-explanatory. The orange line is the "gap-defining" part. This method requires only an extra piece of line but the use of two rings such as those seen in the picture make this method very easy to use. So, one piece of line and two rings are the suggested materials for employing the gap-defining method. I hope this helps some double-hangers!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    A homemade Vertex! That's pretty cool, I gotta go try it now.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    A homemade Vertex!
    I did not know what a vertex was so Google showed me that Clark has some sort of double hammock. I don't know how that hammock works but I do know that I like using three trees

Another thing worth mentioning is that a trapezoid shaped tarp fits this type of double-hang quite well. This shape allows the head-end to be pitched higher which allows for easier entry and exit.

If you try it, let me know how it works for you.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    That looks like a great idea! Well done!

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    What do you tie the head end of the tarp to? If it is centered between hammocks there is no tree there?
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    I had an idea awhile ago (want to insert a smiley face with lightbulb overhead, but I'll go with this...).... before the vertex.

Custom HH Vertex....
    What if you took 2 HH and had ZQ do a zipper mod on opposite sides of the hammocks. Then, if you could re-zip the bugnets (or add velcro to re-attach) from either hammock while they were side by side to enclose both hammocks under one bugnet. Then if you could add velcro and a removeable patch of some nylon material to enclose the area between the hammocks. Plus, where the hammocks touch, just sew opposite velcro along that area to seal them together.

Now, you would always have the option of using as a single hammock, or as a Vertex(Double Hammock) when camping with a friend, girlfriend, wife, significant other, pet, etc., etc.

Just a thought I wanted to share. Might have to work on this idea and maybe post some pics. someday...... LOL!

Anyways, Thanks for sharing the pic. and thoughts, Creekfisher! Looks sweet!

Images
    yes i like it, i knew of the 3 tree approach, but the extra line allows you to use trees that would otherwise be too far apart from one another. very clever.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    I did this with my boys at one of the MAHHA hangs. It worked well until we got a blowing rain. I couldn't stake down the wind side enough and my youngest got soaked. First time he woke me up his hammock & sleeping bag were wet and there was about 2 gallons of water sitting on the tarp over his head. I drained the tarp, redid it and raised his hammock up and he stopped getting the rain blown on him. Second time he got me up he was cold. Well, he had gotten out of the sleeping bag and was laying on the hammock with the wind still blowing. So I got him back in his bag, and he was ok the rest of the night. I thought he would never want to go again but on the way out, Dgrav's wife and friend asked him how the night was and he said he got a little wet. His mood was great.

I now bring a tarp for each of us and when it rains, we all stay dry.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post
    What do you tie the head end of the tarp to? If it is centered between hammocks there is no tree there?
    Good catch!

I run a line between the two trees and then tie the tarp to that line. This line doubles as clothes line, etc.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    there was about 2 gallons of water sitting on the tarp over his head.
    This is a potential problem if the hammocks are too far apart and the tarp is not big enough. A trapezoid shaped tarp is a good fit for this type of hang. This allows the head-end to be pitched higher to compensate for the extra width.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast