comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary

2 UQs or not 2 UQs?... that is the question

I've got 2 summer weight 3/4 length UQs and I'm wondering if I could deploy them both in a colder than summer situation. Has anyone tried this? Can anyone see any potential problems?
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Images
    Certainly. Doubling up on quilts is very common. Just make sure one doesn't constrict the other.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I am planning this for a full length and a 3/4. May not get you to really cold weather, but should work. You just don't want the outer one pulled too tight, and squish the inner one, then you would loose the insulating value of the UQ....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I did this recently on a group hang here locally. Woke up a bit cold the first night at around 5am, wife was even colder and decided to come home for the second night. I kept both her TQ & UQ (both from Underground quilts and both rated for 20*) and used them both.

I know the temps were in the minus (celcius), although I'm not sure of the exact temp for both nights, if I had to guess -4 or -5 plus a windchill. I deployed both sets of quilts for the night, I also added a hot water bottle between my legs, so I'm not exactly sure what gave me more heat, but I had to throw the top quilt off by midnight - I was roasting. I simply moved it over the RL and at my feet. I didn't really feel any difference from under me but it's really hard to say for sure.

In conclusion I felt like the doubling up the TQ's provided much more warmth than doubling up the UQ's. This is very subjective as I have no conclusive data to actually prove this. Also keep in mind that they are both UQ's are full length. I would try this experiment again given the opportunity but I also have a travel sock from Warbonnet on the way so I doubt that the chance this winter as I plan on testing the sock out. I'm really undecided what provided more warmth; the hot water or the extra TQ. I will say that I was starting to sweat with the second quilt on top before removing it.

Hopefully others have tried this and will chime in but certainly you can't go wrong experimenting yourself. As has already been mentioned make sure that you don't compress the one quilt with the other.

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Thanks for the replies so far.

One thing that's puzzling me is; as both my UQs are 3/4 length, should I line them up and use my usual footpad or stagger them beneath me?
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yes!

Too many variables to answer. Try it either way. How do you sleep (hot, cold), do your legs/feet get very cold, do you want more warmth at the torso or legs? Does a pad under your legs work well for the temp range you will be in and are you? Is it full coverage you're after? Then stagger them one at the legs and one at the torso and head.

Try one way, if your cold in the night, it's easy enough to move and adjust, plus the effort of getting up and moving things around will probably warm you up also.

If you're taking a longer trip then maybe find time to hang somewhere before hand, even for a few hours and experiment. It's hammocking after all, there is no wrong way to do it, except maybe upside down (especially without a bug net to catch you).

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I've done this with a winter quilt and a 3 season quilt to make a full length quilt. works great. again you just have to make sure they don't compress each other which negates your reason.
    you can see what I mean in this video at about a 1:15

Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

• + New Posts