Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings

Tarp guy line length?

I just got my MacCat deluxe tarp and need to attach the guy lines. I got the orange gg line to use. This may sound like a dumb question. I need to attach the lines to hang it. What length of line should I use between trees? Also the stake out points? Is 10 ft per side good and 3 to 4 feet for the stakes. I don't want to under cut short or use too much on the other extreme. Thanks Russ
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Can't call me a gram weenie!

I carry quite a bit of line for my stake out points for a couple of reasons. One, you never know what configuration you'll want for a given site till you get there. If I want to open up one side of the tarp when I'm not expecting rain, I may need more line; especially if set-up on a moderate to severe slope. Two, it acts as my 'extra' line. If I need a length of line for whatever, I just cut what I need from my stake lines. It's come in very handy twice now.

For the ridge, I just make it a foot, or so, longer than the webbing on my suspension. I've got around 12' of line on each end of the tarp.

Hope it helps!
    Trust nobody!

Images
    i like 10 feet for the rl pull tabs.

for a big tarp that has corners near the ground, i like some short lines, like 4 feet. thats good for most stuff. since they're so short, i just leave them hanging when i pack it. they're short enough to where they don't really tangle. i carry longer pieces that i can switch them out with if i need to do an awning pitch or something long. i keep these long lengths coiled up and packed away the rest of the time.

Images
    I'm the same as Cannibal on this one. I have 12 feet of line on each side going to the trees. Then the tie outs going to the stakes are about 6 feet. Only once or twice have I had my stake tie outs be too short for one reason or another.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Somewhere I saw this - forget where, but it seems a great system, especially if you rely on stakes. Put a simple fixed loop on each end of your guy line. You can use it full length or half length with the loops together out at your stake, having run the line through the loop on your pull tab.

And I definitely like and use Cannibal's system - I like shorter ones attached initially (5' ish) and keep some 10' or 12' lengths in the bottom of my stuff sac. Versatility with a few extra grams is better than frustration without them.

I use braided mason line (bright pink so I don't trip on it) so weight of extra line isn't really an issue, and I really don't mind cutting and destroying the line if I need to for anything else - a 250' roll is cheap. If you use mason's line though, be sure to get the braided, NOT the twisted line. The twisted stuff unravels very easily. If you use a higher quality guy line, but it's heavier, you could toss in some longer mason's line pieces as your extra as well.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Each of my ridge lines is (I think) 8', they may be 10'.
    AND, I can if need be add at least another 8' to one, or cut the spare cord & 4' to each.
    You never know where you will be hanging, so to a point longer is better.

On a side note: My straps are each 10.5' PLUS there is a 2' rope on the head end (from the original rope with one of my travellers hammocks) AND my 42" belt does double duty as a strap extender (adding about 19"), yep it will hold me up, it is made from the first strap I used to hang from & 2 "rigging" D rings from Tandy leather. Meaning that I can hang my tarp about 30" tree to tree, & the hammock about 31'. Granted over about 22' for the hammock & I slowly lower to the ground, but I can do it, & adjusting the hammock isn't that hard.

Trust me, it can be disheartning to hang your tarp & find out you are 2" short on your hammock hang ability.
    Nearly as upsetting as finding that perfect place to camp, & finding your tarp lines simply will not reach the trees you chose.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    I use about 12-15' per side. Since I carry 13.5' straps for my hammock, I wanted my ridge line to be as close to what my hammock can do. I will not make it longer than my straps, like Doctori, I hate getting the tarp up and finding out I can't reach with the hammock.

I want to try using 2 25' straps and see how high I have to put it on the tree to be able to hang between trees 50-60' apart.

I might attempt this at the NJ hang.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    I ordered 100 feet of camo strap when I made my Strapworks order. I was just learning to sew (still learning) and made my own straps to replace the stock suspension on both my Clark & Claytor. Since I didn't know how long to make my straps, I made them 20 feet, figuring its easier to cut them than make them longer. I still haven't made that cut yet, as I haven't hung all that much and haven't decided how much to cut.

I have NO good place to practice hang near my house. The two big trees in my back yard are fairly far apart. When I used my over-long straps to hang my Claytor, it needed to be set too high to get into, or else it just lowered to within a couple of inches of the ground. Not the way I want to sleep.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    switchback
    It seems as if people favor having longer guy lines than short ones....i would agree that it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it....BUT, how do you keep the lines from getting tangles when you pack up?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grillmastertoo View Post
    It seems as if people favor having longer guy lines than short ones....i would agree that it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it....BUT, how do you keep the lines from getting tangles when you pack up?
    I wrap mine using a technique that HC4U showed me. Extend the index finger and little finger of one hand, and then wrap the line between them, crossing over in the middle each pass, sort of making a figure-8 with each looping. When you have 6-8 inches left, take that portion and wrap the middle of the figure-8 bundle, then tuck the very end under the last loop to hold it.
    This helps to keep the line from tangling when the bundle is undone.

On my hammock I have a number of these lines that get wrapped, and then bundled altogether with the hammock or tarp or whatever. So to protect the wrapped bundles from wrapping themselves around each other, I've made very small bags (like a Bishopbag, for the hammock) that is always on the line (like the Bishopbag), and covers the bundles.

sounds complicated but it isn't

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast